Serama eggs day 18 - under a broody, no peeping..

Sometimes hens will not leave the nest for the last few days, the period we call "lockdown" when using an incubator. Wear a black, blue, or any dark colored shirt and candle them under your shirt, works well enough for me. Like silverbirds said I wouldn't worry yet. How old is she, and how old was she when she started building the "clutch"?

Sometimes hens will not leave the nest for the last few days, the period we call "lockdown" when using an incubator. Wear a black, blue, or any dark colored shirt and candle them under your shirt, works well enough for me. Like silverbirds said I wouldn't worry yet. How old is she, and how old was she when she started building the "clutch"?
She was about 5 months old.. now she is about 6 months

They don’t always peep…. at least not that you could hear. I’ve had many quiet Serama eggs hatch totally fine. Besides, they may be peeping when you’re not around. The hen will talk to them, while they’re in the eggs, and that helps them begin to hatch. My Seramas have hatched anywhere between days 19-21. One note— if she and her eggs are outside, unprotected, then you really need to get them somewhere safe from predators.

They don’t always peep…. at least not that you could hear. I’ve had many quiet Serama eggs hatch totally fine. Besides, they may be peeping when you’re not around. The hen will talk to them, while they’re in the eggs, and that helps them begin to hatch. My Seramas have hatched anywhere between days 19-21. One note— if she and her eggs are outside, unprotected, then you really need to get them somewhere safe from predators.
I candled one of the eggs today and saw movement! Though I don't think I saw that the air sac was "punctured". Normal? Perhaps they need a few more hours?

I candled one of the eggs today and saw movement! Though I don't think I saw that the air sac was "punctured". Normal? Perhaps they need a few more hours?
Hang in there! Movement is wonderful!! Be super patient and let her do the work. It could take anywhere from 19-21 days total (my experience). My Seramas are amazing mothers. I’ve had 13 Serama (and other bantam) chicks hatch so far during the last few weeks. All, but 4, were hatched under my broody girls. The movement means those chicks are getting into position to internally pip. I just candled some of mine, in the last 12 hours, where I saw the chicks moving around inside the air sacks. Sounds like it won’t be long now for your chicks. Please keep us updated!!!!

Hang in there! Movement is wonderful!! Be super patient and let her do the work. It could take anywhere from 19-21 days total (my experience). My Seramas are amazing mothers. I’ve had 13 Serama (and other bantam) chicks hatch so far during the last few weeks. All, but 4, were hatched under my broody girls. The movement means those chicks are getting into position to internally pip. I just candled some of mine, in the last 12 hours, where I saw the chicks moving around inside the air sacks. Sounds like it won’t be long now for your chicks. Please keep us updated!!!!
Thank you!! :)
I hope she won't leave the nest today... Yesterday she left twice for about 30 mins each time... I hope she stays

Back
Top Bottom