Serama Eggs, is 19 days to hatch true & why?

gabbyscritters

Songster
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
fredonia, wi
My 10 year old daughter uses her little Serama hen for showmanship. She was champion in showmanship at her county fair.
She told the judge that Serama eggs hatch at about 19 days. The judge asked why this was and she honestly told him she has not been able to find out why. This was the only question she could not answer.

She has searched online, including here, and finds various vauge reasons, not really sure if any are correct.
Some say it because they are so closely related to jungle fowl, others because that need a higher incubator temperature.

There are other breeds that are breed from jungle fowl and don't most chicks hatch a little early if the temperatures are increased.

She has a show this next weekend and is also going to crossroads, she wants to find a solid answer to give the judge. Or, is it just not true?
Thanks, Gabby is hoping for help on this!

I aslo have serama's and I think its becuse they are smaller so they don't need the full 21 days. I've had them hatch at 16 days before

Don't have seramas, but some of my hens do lay small eggs which hatch after 18 days.
I'm thinking because it's a smaller egg, therefore smaller chick, it needs less time to develop. I've recently hatched some eggs under a broody and the smaller eggs hatched first and the biggest one last.
Good luck at the show!

Hi: I'm new to seramas, hatched 3 at 21 days, but then I realized by another thermometer, that my temp was a bit too low. Second batched hatched at 20 days at a better temp...Do you experienced hatchers think temp has a lot to do with day of hatch? Thanks, Lin

Yes, very much. Lower temperatures makes the chicks hatch later and higher temperatures can make them hatch too soon, usually with bad results.
I've had an experience earlier this year with a stupid broody who wouldn't commit. She'd sit, get up, sit, get up. Her chicks hatched over quite a long period and we lost quite a few of them. The last one hatched after 5 weeks! She survived and lived 5 months before health problems, probably as result of the long incubation period, caught up with her.

I think most bantam breeds hatch out sooner than 21 days. And I think it's cause they're smaller and take less time to develop, like other people have already said. Could also be caus the eggs are so small that they come up to temperature more quickly and so the embryos can start developing inside the egg more quickly. With big eggs, it can take a full day for them to come up to temperature. Small eggs would obviously heat up quicker.

Then again, I've hatched out 70g eggs and 40g eggs and they both took 21 days...
idunno.gif

I have a few smallish hens here, not quite bantams, just smallish. Their eggs hatch after 18 days. The chicks probably develop quicker 'cause there's less of it!
I've noticed that big eggs take the longest to hatch if I put a mixed size batch under a hen.

When I've done Seramas and other bantams they've hatched out around day 17-19. I'm like everyone else and just always assumed it was because they were smaller and needed less time to develop.

Back
Top Bottom