Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
Well I'm in full blown panic mode! Today at noon started Day 18, I went to set up lockdown. Turn off the turner, candle and mark the air cells, pull the egg tray and replace it with paper towels, up the humidity, etc... pulled the lid and was greeted by two external pips. The water pots were dry, the turner was on. I have been caught completely with my pants down by these chicks! I have no idea when they pipped. The brooder with my 4 week old chicks is right by the incubator and they made a fuss not long ago + seem to now be entranced watching the pips and sometimes talking to the babies in the incubator, so I'm hoping it was sometime around 10AM when they fussed, but I obviously can't say with certainty.

The third egg is rolling and peeping, so I suspect an external pip from them soon. One of the external pips seems to be malpositioned, as they bled a bit at the pip site. Fingers crossed they make it.. I gave them all a tap and everyone responded with peeping, and I see the eggs rocking from time to time, but I think they're resting. Literally nothing was right for them to start hatching now, conditions wise, so it might be a tough ride

Last edited:
Well I'm in full blown panic mode! Today at noon started Day 18, I went to set up lockdown. Turn off the turner, candle and mark the air cells, pull the egg tray and replace it with paper towels, up the humidity, etc... pulled the lid and was greeted by two external pips. The water pots were dry, the turner was on. I have been caught completely with my pants down by these chicks! I have no idea when they pipped. The brooder with my 4 week old chicks is right by the incubator and they made a fuss not long ago + seem to now be entranced watching the pips and sometimes talking to the babies in the incubator, so I'm hoping it was sometime around 10AM when they fussed, but I obviously can't say with certainty.

The third egg is rolling and peeping, so I suspect an external pip from them soon. One of the external pips seems to be malpositioned, as they bled a bit at the pip site. Fingers crossed they make it.. I gave them all a tap and everyone responded with peeping, and I see the eggs rocking from time to time, but I think they're resting. Literally nothing was right for them to start hatching now, conditions wise, so it might be a tough ride
Wow, those babies are ready to get out!! Many times I went to put an egg in the hatcher only to find it had already pipped! I tend to move mine on day 17 these days.

First one is out! Hatched just fine on their own with no complications. How cute and wee! Still waiting on the other two to start zipping, but both eggs are still moving and making noise so at least I know they're ok for now.

First one is out! Hatched just fine on their own with no complications. How cute and wee! Still waiting on the other two to start zipping, but both eggs are still moving and making noise so at least I know they're ok for now.

Wonderful, congrats!! I just love these little birds
love.gif

@Skink ...
...CONGRATS !!! Beautiful babies you've got there, Skink.

I took some more pictures of my 4 babies this evening. I sat them, two at a time, on my left index finger and took the shots with my phone.
The flash went off and they didn't make a peep. That is, until, the second time it went off...then all hell broke loose and they scattered like
ping-pong balls all over the table...lol !!! Fortunately no one was hurt during the shooting of these photo's, but I won't be using a flash on them again
anytime soon !!! They're quite jumpy at this age, aren't they...

The two yellow ones are, from left to right, the first born (Harper) and the second born (no name yet). The other two are, the brown one is
named Penguin (Mr. P; for short) because he looks just like a penguin when he walks and the little dab of a yellow thing there is the very last one
to hatch (she doesn't have a name yet either).

ANY HELP WITH NAMES IS APPRECIATED !!!
I'm just so not creative when it comes to naming animals

Thanks.

-kim-

Woke up to an incubator of fully hatched eggs! Thank goodness they managed on their own, because I'm going to the hospital. The right side of my body has gone numb after persistent traveling swelling and pain. That never means anything good. Fingers crossed that I just have nerve compression or something...

Garnet

Amethyst and Pearl

Last night I took photos of the almost-new-years babies!

Poprock

Ping

Horus

Jack

Bobble, who's comb is getting red... please don't be a roo Bobble
hit.gif

Take care everyone! Hopefully talk to you soon

@Skink ...

I took some more pictures of my 4 babies this evening. I sat them, two at a time, on my left index finger and took the shots with my phone.
The flash went off and they didn't make a peep. That is, until, the second time it went off...then all hell broke loose and they scattered like
ping-pong balls all over the table...lol !!! Fortunately no one was hurt during the shooting of these photo's, but I won't be using a flash on them again

The two yellow ones are, from left to right, the first born (Harper) and the second born (no name yet). The other two are, the brown one is
named Penguin (Mr. P; for short) because he looks just like a penguin when he walks and the little dab of a yellow thing there is the very last one

Thanks.

-kim-

Ha! Ping looked like that at hatch too, and Ping sounds like shorthand Penguin, which is how she got her name! Cool thing about the roo I hatched that looked like that too: He looked like he'd just be black, but he has mottling on his chest! Will be interesting to watch them grow.

Some names I plan to use are Velma, Honey, Puff, Cotton, Sugar, Bit, Dandelion, Cupcake, Pork and Macadamia. Food names tend to be a good place to start for cute! Or flowers. Or ironic names like Titan and Giganto

@Skink ...

Thanks.

-kim-

They are super adorable!! Harper made me think of Angel : ) I mostly wait till a name comes to me and I have a lot of birds without names. My first 7 Seramas are named Caesar, Julian, Ferdinand, Milla, Grace and Alma and Ava (the frizzled sisters). I also have a few that came with names... Buddy, Frizzle, Anna and their daughter Hannah. And then there is Sparkle roo (Sparky) and his new friend Twinkle.

Woke up to an incubator of fully hatched eggs! Thank goodness they managed on their own, because I'm going to the hospital. The right side of my body has gone numb after persistent traveling swelling and pain. That never means anything good. Fingers crossed that I just have nerve compression or something...

Garnet

Amethyst and Pearl

Last night I took photos of the almost-new-years babies!

Poprock

Ping

Horus

Jack

Bobble, who's comb is getting red... please don't be a roo Bobble
hit.gif

Take care everyone! Hopefully talk to you soon

Sending healing thoughts your way... I hope all is well soon! I am glad those chicks didn't make extra work for you. They are so precious... may they all be hens!

Back
Top Bottom