Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
One of my laying hens decided to go broody, so I'm going to give her half the eggs in the incubator. I got to keep some in the incubator because I just LOVE watching them hatch. They are on day 14 so that hen might be a bit shocked when they start hatching after only sitting for a week. Do you think that could be a problem?

I don't know... has she hatched eggs before? I can imagine that would be like having a baby after only 3 months... a little shocking to the system but hopefully she can roll with it!

Hope you get a great hatch! If you end up with too many roosters, I'm looking for a little booted rooster for my 2 pullets. I have a "casey" and a "darius".
smile.png

Most of my booted eggs are from Casey and Darius too, so I suppose those wouldn't be a good match. I have a few from Ethan too though! I do hope I have lots of extra roosters! I think the real trick if many hatch is to keep track of who is who! I have heard of people hatching in little plastic trays from the dollar store. Maybe that would be a good way to keep them separate... of course I will just plan for them all to hatch ; ) I am going to try a dry hatch with them... humidity is around 35% right now which seems good. I was really glad to hear from this woman about turning the fan off after pips because the little eggs can be so vulnerable to drying out, I hope it will help. I have my mixed chicken (lockdown tomorrow) and a few serama eggs to experiment on before this batch hatches!

Do you know how booted works? Will they all be booted or is it recessive like frizzle or silkie and only some of them get it?

One of my 5 week old roos is starting to have black and white barring. I wonder how much he will change as he gets older... I would LOVE a B/W barred roo!

I wonder how long my hen will take care of them... maybe longer than normal because they are so small? I was in the main coop the other morning with the door open and she wanted to bring them all in! Ahhh! I was leaving so I couldn't stay and supervise so I made her go out. The chicks can go right through the fence! I am planning to have a totally different coop/coops for the Seramas... soon...

Hello, I just rescued this handsome roo from the animal shelter in riverside ca he was with a hen the all gray with dark legs and face... Is she a serama hen too ???

I hope this little guy likes me ... He's already protecting the girls it's so amazing how he knows hiss roll... I tried to pet my all white Banty hen and he pecked me...

That is funny, he is probably just wanting to establish himself from the start! My roo is so sweet, but gets so puffed up and worked up if I upset one of the hens. I have learned to take him out first before I move them, it works much better that way.

Last night I had candled my frizzle Serama's eggs and I thought one looked pretty close. I was wondering when this thing was going to hatch, but no sign of internal pipping or anything. This morning I check on everyone and Frizzle is backwards on her nest and there is a tiny yellow head poking out behind her! I was so surprised. It looks like it just hatched, still drying out!

My other chicks all hatched yesterday and in the middle of the night last night so it was perfect timing : ) I had already forgotten how little the Serama babies are!

Back
Top Bottom