Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
Thanks! One out of the shell and I just realized it's day 20 instead of 21. I feel better about the ones that haven't pipped yet. It's ridiculous how anxious I get.lol

Congrats on your hatch! Have you given your eggs a listen? If they're not externally pipped yet, I bet they're at least making a little hatching noise inside. When I get anxious over pips, I give one of the eggs a listen.. it calms me down to hear that scratchy noise. Only works if nobody is externally pipped in the 'bator, though, since I wouldn't want to open it if they had.

I ordered a dozen hatching eggs expecting that my pullet Ping wouldn't be having success with her eggs. I figured I'll hatch 'em and stick 'em under her. I put off candling, since I was pretty sure she'd be sitting on a bunch of quitters.. she had only had 2 clears! The rest are developing. They are a little small for this stage, but all were lively, so I'm not sure if I should get excited for them to hatch or not. I've read a lot about chicks in the eggs of pullets quitting just before the finish line.

I'm really feeling the squeeze of having an incubator that only sets 12 eggs. I'm thinking perhaps I will try a hovabator.. or should I bite the bullet and build a cabinet? I'm not terribly handy and I don't even own a saw, but it would be nice to always have more space than I need. I keep seeing eggs I want to hatch!

Last edited:
Congrats on your hatch! Have you given your eggs a listen? If they're not externally pipped yet, I bet they're at least making a little hatching noise inside. When I get anxious over pips, I give one of the eggs a listen.. it calms me down to hear that scratchy noise. Only works if nobody is externally pipped in the 'bator, though, since I wouldn't want to open it if they had.

I ordered a dozen hatching eggs expecting that my pullet Ping wouldn't be having success with her eggs. I figured I'll hatch 'em and stick 'em under her. I put off candling, since I was pretty sure she'd be sitting on a bunch of quitters.. she had only had 2 clears! The rest are developing. They are a little small for this stage, but all were lively, so I'm not sure if I should get excited for them to hatch or not. I've read a lot about chicks in the eggs of pullets quitting just before the finish line.

I'm really feeling the squeeze of having an incubator that only sets 12 eggs. I'm thinking perhaps I will try a hovabator.. or should I bite the bullet and build a cabinet? I'm not terribly handy and I don't even own a saw, but it would be nice to always have more space than I need. I keep seeing eggs I want to hatch!
I can hear them chirping and they move.
big_smile.png

My pullets eggs are bigger than the hens. The hen is a small B and the pullet is a large B. Hopefully you'll get some smaller chicks from the pullet eggs. I hatched pullet eggs from my EE and BR the pullets I have from them are about 2/3 the size of their moms. I think egg size does have something to do with adult size, at least it seemed to with theirs but I haven't hatched any of their larger eggs.Oh, I also got a 100% hatch on both batches of pullet eggs, one was mispositioned but she made it. I know some people say don't hatch them but I love my little black and silver EE's and I use the colored eggs for crafts and it's nice that they have a smaller egg.

I know what you're saying about the small incubator. I love my brinsea mini but I ended up renovating my old LG and have a dozen in there. Good luck with your hatch and thank you !

Yesterday on the way to the brooder. 2 were pretty sticky . I have cleaned them some, afraid to get them too wet. Only one did not hatch.(80%) 3 wheaten and if anyone has an idea what the dark chick is I would love to hear it. . I think Db is involved,with white strips on the back
idunno.gif
Nothing cuter than day olds chest bumping.lol

AW!!! They're so cute!! I know they're a little "generic" but I've come to really love the yellow chicks. Maybe it's because I've hatched so many dark serama LMAO. Congrats on the babies! Wish I could offer insight on the color but every time I think I can guess what they'll be from the fluff I end up some new brand of wrong.

I've got at least 4, possibly 6 eggs going in the incubator (candled a little early so couldn't tell too well,) and my gal Ping still has 4 eggs going strong. I've got another 7 eggs on the way in the mail this week. It is going to be a babysplosion come July! Making up for lost time since I didn't incubate for a couple months, I guess. Another pullet of mine started laying, not sure which of the sisters it is. Gotta resist hatching the dang things just cuz they're fertile
he.gif

Yesterday on the way to the brooder. 2 were pretty sticky . I have cleaned them some, afraid to get them too wet. Only one did not hatch.(80%) 3 wheaten and if anyone has an idea what the dark chick is I would love to hear it. . I think Db is involved,with white strips on the back
idunno.gif
Nothing cuter than day olds chest bumping.lol

I am so happy to see you got some chicks!! So cute!

AW!!! They're so cute!! I know they're a little "generic" but I've come to really love the yellow chicks. Maybe it's because I've hatched so many dark serama LMAO. Congrats on the babies! Wish I could offer insight on the color but every time I think I can guess what they'll be from the fluff I end up some new brand of wrong.

I've got at least 4, possibly 6 eggs going in the incubator (candled a little early so couldn't tell too well,) and my gal Ping still has 4 eggs going strong. I've got another 7 eggs on the way in the mail this week. It is going to be a babysplosion come July! Making up for lost time since I didn't incubate for a couple months, I guess. Another pullet of mine started laying, not sure which of the sisters it is. Gotta resist hatching the dang things just cuz they're fertile
he.gif
Thanks! I was glad to see one little dark one, and when it fluffed out completely it looks to have a black and grey marbled color on the back with a light colored chest. I think the pumpkin and silver is going to keep me from getting a lot of dark colors but I know I have the genes to get ginger.My next pair will be darker and who knows what I'll get from the recessive white. I had to agree to get rid of some laying hens before I can get another pair but I have to many so thats not a problem. My husband started on another breeder pen so I guess I'll rehome some.

I'm glad yours are doing well. I understand what you're saying about not hatching just because they're fertile. I still don't understand what some people do with all the chicks they hatch. Even with the laying hens I try not to hatch unless I know they have a home to go to and I'm still getting 5 dozen eggs a week but I donate what we don't use to a local food bank so it's all good.
smile.png

Hi there! New to Serama's but not to chicks or to hatching. I just received 24 hatching eggs from some on here on BYC. they arrived it great shape yesterday and are settling since then. I have some options for incubating and an looking for some feedback on what would be the best way to go. I have 2 Genesis 1588 with turner and digital readout. I have had good success with a variety of egg in both. I also have a Brinsea Octagon 20 with turning cradle and humidity pump. I would love feedback on which to use. I am also wondering about incubating upright vs on the sides. I don't think I could fit them all in the Brinsea on their sides, but am also not adverse to splitting them into 2 groups/incubators. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Vicki

Hi there! New to Serama's but not to chicks or to hatching. I just received 24 hatching eggs from some on here on BYC. they arrived it great shape yesterday and are settling since then. I have some options for incubating and an looking for some feedback on what would be the best way to go. I have 2 Genesis 1588 with turner and digital readout. I have had good success with a variety of egg in both. I also have a Brinsea Octagon 20 with turning cradle and humidity pump. I would love feedback on which to use. I am also wondering about incubating upright vs on the sides. I don't think I could fit them all in the Brinsea on their sides, but am also not adverse to splitting them into 2 groups/incubators. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Vicki

Hi Vicki, Welcome!

Sounds like your eggs came in the mail, but if their air cells are intact you could do either upright or on their sides. I don't really think they do better either way, so if you can fit them all in the Brinsea upright then that might be the way to go! I don't personally have a Brinsea, but if I ever hear of Seramas popping out of their shells, I notice it is almost always in a Brinsea!

Good luck with your hatch and I hope you'll let us know how they are doing!

Back
Top Bottom