Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
Quote:
Yes! They were shipped from San Diego to Paradise, CA. The arrive in great shape. I have put them in the Brinsea as I have gotten feedback from others that there is less vibration with the turning cradle than there is with a standard turner. They agreed with you there does not seem to be much difference whether they are upright or on their sides. I was able to fit them all easily upright .

It is going to be a long 3 weeks!
jumpy.gif

AAAAA I went to candle under my broody Serama thinking it was day 16 (stupid me, I forgot to record the set date) and found TWO FLUFFY BABIES!! They're so cute! One is a blue like their mum, the other is some sort of cute dark brown. She's got one other egg talking and another doing nothing that I think were set one or two days later, so if she gets up they'll need to go in my hatcher, but EEEE!!! The best surprise!!

On top of that, I've got at least 9 but possibly 11 shipped eggs going strong in my incubator. DANG. These are good eggs! It is a little early to candle half of them so I can only say for sure on the ones that I could actually spot, but only one has the look of a clear. I'm excited, some of the eggs in there are from solid whites. I am prepared for the serama rain to begin! Turns out I need roosters! My one "boy" in my youngest pen keeps squatting and someone in there is laying eggs already (they're only 16 weeks) so now I don't know if I have any roosters I'm keeping.

I've got another serama wanting to go broody.. no way am I letting her! I'm prepared for serama rain but maaaybe not a serama flood.

Yes! They were shipped from San Diego to Paradise, CA. The arrive in great shape. I have put them in the Brinsea as I have gotten feedback from others that there is less vibration with the turning cradle than there is with a standard turner. They agreed with you there does not seem to be much difference whether they are upright or on their sides. I was able to fit them all easily upright .

It is going to be a long 3 weeks!
jumpy.gif

Is this a brinsea mini? Pics!! I wanna see how you've got them sitting! If I could fit 24 in my mini advance and have a viable hatch, that would be a dream. Keep us updated! Completely missed where you said it was a 20, sorry about that! Got too excited lol

Last edited:
AAAAA I went to candle under my broody Serama thinking it was day 16 (stupid me, I forgot to record the set date) and found TWO FLUFFY BABIES!! They're so cute! One is a blue like their mum, the other is some sort of cute dark brown. She's got one other egg talking and another doing nothing that I think were set one or two days later, so if she gets up they'll need to go in my hatcher, but EEEE!!! The best surprise!!

On top of that, I've got at least 9 but possibly 11 shipped eggs going strong in my incubator. DANG. These are good eggs! It is a little early to candle half of them so I can only say for sure on the ones that I could actually spot, but only one has the look of a clear. I'm excited, some of the eggs in there are from solid whites. I am prepared for the serama rain to begin! Turns out I need roosters! My one "boy" in my youngest pen keeps squatting and someone in there is laying eggs already (they're only 16 weeks) so now I don't know if I have any roosters I'm keeping.

I've got another serama wanting to go broody.. no way am I letting her! I'm prepared for serama rain but maaaybe not a serama flood.
Awesome! And congrats!!! That is amazing with shipped eggs! How far did they travel? I have 1 broody, but she is LF and would probably crush the eggs. Wish my Silkie was old enough to go broody...
hmm.png

Quote: LOL!!! No problem. Yes...it would be quite a feat to get 24 in a Mini!

Nice surprise! I seem to keep less and less track of dates these days. Last week I thought that I should candle some quail eggs I had in the incubator and found 2 already hatched in there!

I have at least 18 of 22 shipped Seramas eggs showing development at 5 days!!!!
wee.gif

Dang! That is excellent for shipped eggs, Serama eggs especially! Congrats! Looks like they want to cooperate with you for your first time hatching 'em, haha

10 eggs in the incubator developing, half of those should be hatching later this week. I think Ping's babies are sold, but we'll see if they ever actually get picked up by the person who wants them... after having so many people back out of taking my roosters last time I'm starting to equate "sorry I can't today" to "changed my mind"
hu.gif

Quote:
Thanks! I hope you are right on them cooperating! Roosters can be hard to place of any breed unless people ant them to go to freezer camp. Serama roosters wouldn't be much good for that. I am hoping that I can donate some of mine (which I am sure I will have) to some 4-H kids for showmanship.

Thanks! I hope you are right on them cooperating! Roosters can be hard to place of any breed unless people ant them to go to freezer camp. Serama roosters wouldn't be much good for that. I am hoping that I can donate some of mine (which I am sure I will have) to some 4-H kids for showmanship.

Yeah. I actually had a ton of people interested, blowing up my phone, asking me all sorts of questions. Folks wanted them for their kid's FFA stuff, a therapy camp for disabled kids, classroom pets, house pets, they had too many hens and wanted a little rooster, someone was even dead set on coming down from oklahoma city (I'm in TX.) I put in hours communicating with people that set up times and dates to come get them only to have them not show up over and over again. Sometimes they gave me an excuse then disappeared, but mostly they just went dead silent on me. That went on for weeks! It was very disheartening. It made me think about not getting in to Serama until I have a big barn to keep all the culls in. They found good homes in the end, though.. two are spoiled house pets, the other two are the only roosters on a mini farm. I still get updates on them from time to time. Makes it worth it!

Quote:
It really sucks how people do that. I raise Gouldian Finches too and have been dealing with it for years. People making appointments and not showing up just drives me CRAZY!!!. I would much rather have them call and say they changed their minds. At least you are not waiting around for them or holding a bird for them when you could have sold it 4 times to someone else. I have been pretty lucky and not had too many of my chickens turn out to be rooster and have been able to find great homes before they started to crow. I did have 2 guys...separate guys who did not know each other.....drive up within a day of each other to buy 1 particular mutation of female Gouldian all the way from San Francisco/ It is about a 4 hours drive each way! It is great when you know they are invested enough that they will take wonderful care of them.

Back
Top Bottom