Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
Why didn't I think of that?! That's a great idea! I've been laying down puppy pads, but it's too expensive to keep up. For people who keep Seramas inside during winter, I don't know how they do it! I'm going to have to figure something out. Our downstairs is not being utilized right now. Our plans were to turn it into a teen game room for my sons. Think they'll mind too much if I build an indoor coop down there? Lol We were planning on doing an industrial theme, with graffiti style art, black light posters and arcade games. If I got real creative, I could make the coop match the room... A Super Mario Brothers themed coop?! Lol Hmmmm...
Ooh, that sounds like fun! You could print one or more screenshots for a backdrop (maybe plexiglass back and then glue the image behind the enclosure). The roost could look like the little brick platforms. Maybe give them a couple of green tunnel platforms they can perch on, custom treat hangers that look like coins on the front, oh this would be so fun to work on.

Ooh, that sounds like fun! You could print one or more screenshots for a backdrop (maybe plexiglass back and then glue the image behind the enclosure). The roost could look like the little brick platforms. Maybe give them a couple of green tunnel platforms they can perch on, custom treat hangers that look like coins on the front, oh this would be so fun to work on. 

Ha! I know! The possibilities are virtually endless!

I know this wasn't directed at me but I'd also love to hear more about using sand, what type is used and at what age they're put on it, how deep it is, etc. 

Also also, Naliez, I would :love  to see photos of other people's serama enclosures too, indoors and out. So... I created a thread for it! Hopefully some people will come by and show us how it's done. :)  

Here's the link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1043895/serama-house-show-off-lets-see-your-coop

Good idea! I'll go subscribe!

So sorry to have missed the questions about sand! It has been very busy around here lately. For indoor cages, I use the XL of these one for a pair or trio. I then add bagged construction sand, specifically this kind, to the trays. One bag does two cages. I mix in a hearty amount of granulated (not powder) sweet pdz I scoop it with one of these once to twice daily. Don't do this if the cages are in a room you want to keep pretty, because it does produce dust. There really is no escaping dust with indoor chickens short of keeping them all diapered and running around lol! I need to dust every week in my office where my birds are. I find the dust more tolerable than carefresh by far, and they make much less of a kick-out mess than they do with shavings in my experience. Plain shavings might suit you better, I do sand to keep as much poop out of the cages as possible and to be as gentle on my back as needed (no weekly changing it all out!)

You can use sand as a substrate for brooding chicks, too, but I would keep them on paper towel until they are two weeks old or so just to make sure they know what's food and what isn't, and only if the cage isn't crowded.. lots of chicks make lots of moisture, and sand doesn't deal with sitting moisture too well. I also wouldn't use it unless I had a horizontal nipple waterer to make sure there is no spill/drip mess.

Last edited:
I thought about it few times. I don't want to bother her too much, I only bug her when I have too. She's a pain to get under. I don't mind waiting a week to find out. When I start using the incubator I probably will all the time.

My broody hatched her chicks this morning! 4 new babies, weeee! Final egg made it close to hatch but never pipped. So we hatched 4 of a total 7 originally set. Gosh, I just love all the different colors that appear. These 4 all look different from my first 6 hatched.

BTW, do you all use wood shavings or paper towels when hatching with a broody? I wasn't sure and so it's still just the bedding I had in there for her while she was sitting on the eggs.

Last edited:
I have not hatched with enough broodies to say, to be honest! Paper towels are unlikely to stand up to a broodie's daily up tine with how frantically they scratch. I had one broody hatch on sand and wasn't worried since she was teaching the chicks what food was... the only other time I hatched with a broody it was one of my house chickens, so the substrate was "my office floor"

That's a good point. I'm thinking I'll leave the shavings in for now, not eager to completely upend the family right now anyway (already had to pull everyone out of the next box since the front lip was too high for chicks to climb out). It's so fascinating to watch her teaching them! I also noticed, my runt chick from the first batch is about the same size as these day olds... otherwise it seems to be doing well and looks like it may be feathering out silkied.

My broody hatched her chicks this morning! 4 new babies, weeee! Final egg made it close to hatch but never pipped. So we hatched 4 of a total 7 originally set. Gosh, I just love all the different colors that appear. These 4 all look different from my first 6 hatched.

BTW, do you all use wood shavings or paper towels when hatching with a broody? I wasn't sure and so it's still just the bedding I had in there for her while she was sitting on the eggs.

What a pretty mama and a nice assortment of chicks! I sometime give them shavings, but only in a large tub. In a crate like that, the shavings end up everywhere!

Back
Top Bottom