Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

I hatched 7 tiny chicks but lost one. I put them all under a small hen that already had one baby a few weeks old. She seems to be managing, she is an amazing mama! Sometimes the new chicks try to get under the bigger chick, so cute!!

Sadly that first one died... something was not right with him :( But 6 others hatched! Not amazing, but it is something, and golly are they ever cute. I've got two fresh hatched serama in the incubator right now as well! I think only one more egg will hatch but possibly 4. The other 2 were very dead and there is one that is highly suspect, but I have been blissfully wrong before. Once I've got a little more money I'm going to do one more batch of serama and give coturnix quail a go but then I won't be hatching again until almost autumn I'm sure.. my brooders'll be full until it is time to bring home our new puppy in March.

I'm very sorry you lost one, but I'm glad your surrogate momma is working out! I hope things keep going well. I've had such bad luck leaving chicks with their mums, but I really can't blame them. It is always some extenuating circumstance.

Sadly that first one died... something was not right with him :( But 6 others hatched! Not amazing, but it is something, and golly are they ever cute. I've got two fresh hatched serama in the incubator right now as well! I think only one more egg will hatch but possibly 4. The other 2 were very dead and there is one that is highly suspect, but I have been blissfully wrong before. Once I've got a little more money I'm going to do one more batch of serama and give coturnix quail a go but then I won't be hatching again until almost autumn I'm sure.. my brooders'll be full until it is time to bring home our new puppy in March.

I'm very sorry you lost one, but I'm glad your surrogate momma is working out! I hope things keep going well. I've had such bad luck leaving chicks with their mums, but I really can't blame them. It is always some extenuating circumstance.

RIP Little chick : (

Mama is doing well even with too many chicks. With the super tiny chicks, I always loose some but in a brooder I might loose them all. I mostly have pullet eggs right now, so all my chicks are extra tiny.

What kind of puppy are you getting? I am sure it will keep you very busy!!

RIP Little chick : (

Mama is doing well even with too many chicks. With the super tiny chicks, I always loose some but in a brooder I might loose them all. I mostly have pullet eggs right now, so all my chicks are extra tiny.

What kind of puppy are you getting? I am sure it will keep you very busy!!

1 million years later I answer! Sorry about that. I only got 2 serama from that hatch but they are doing really well and are super cute. They're brooding with the quail and seem to like their buddies!

I'm glad she's doing well! I very rarely lose chicks in brooders, but I am also home all day to check on them often. They make some pretty catastrophic messes despite my best efforts and I really don't know how people who have a job out of the home and kids manage to raise chicks at all LMAO

We are getting a pembroke corgi! They are going to be my service dog. It is an unusual breed choice for the role but the breed fits our equally unusual needs perfectly. They're also my favorite dogs and a breed I've wanted since I was a kid so I really lucked out! We're going to name them Flapjack. They should be born later this month.

I'll revive this thread again :D

Just set 12 serama eggs and 3 silkies this morning that made it all the way from California to Illinois... Thanks TJ for the eggs.

Hopefully the postal workers were gentle and we get a bunch of growth going with these.

Our last hatch we ended up with 4 silkies and 1 serama. (I messed up my humidity and lost a bunch due to shrink wrap and not being able to get out of the eggs... didnt realize what happened till it was too late).

Okay!

I've got 14 of my very own eggs incubating. This is the first I've tried hatching my own. All others others have been shipped eggs with less than optimal hatch rates. I set them on 1/7 from eggs laid 12/25 thru 1/7. The two eggs laid on 12/25 did not develop. I have a Serama pullet that lays very small eggs and none of the ones developed that were 15 grams [3 of her oldest eggs] but the ones that weighed 16g and larger are developing :]

Curious, what all do you incubate your serama eggs at? I currently have my bator set at 99.5 and humidity is hard to control as winter the ambient humidity very low in the teens. Summer is quite the opposite as ambient humidity is 50% to 90%. So currently I have to add water to full capacity every other day. My bator ranges from 60% after adding water to 20% when needing refilled.

I had 3/4 eggs hatched but 1 died as the bator got to hot one egg died before hatching as it was rinsed before incubating i have more in my bator but were under a broody so not sure if there fertile or not

This is my second attempt at hatching serama eggs (first was a mix with silkie eggs as well). Messed up my humidity and lost 2 serama due to shirk wrapping, and several silkies too.

I ran it set at 100.5 which ran right around 100 the whole time. I kept humidity at 45-50% until lock down and bumped it to 60-65%.

If I had not opened the incubator to take out the 5 chicks, I would have ended up with quite a few more chicks and wouldnt be incubating again... So will leave these be as long as possible this time and they'll just have to spend the first 48 hours of life in a messy incubator :D

Back
Top Bottom