Serama housing Question

fiset94

Songster
11 Years
May 5, 2012
I am hoping that you can help me with a few questions.... I have been reading a lot about them online... but I'm getting mixed feelings about how to go about this...

I currently am incubating Silkies, Seramas, Marans, and EE

Can I house Serama chickens with these other breeds in my barn? Some have noted not having any problems with them in a mixed flock.. just to make sure that food and water is accessible.

Do I have to bring them indoors ( my house) rather then letting them roost out in the barn with the other chickens in the winter? Again- Some have said they HAVE to be inside under 50 degrees... while I read that some have raised them in the New England cold Weather ( where I live) and they do fine.. just cuddle up with the other chickens.

Any advise would be great!

One more question regarding incubating.....

When I candled them I saw Veins and a black spot..on day 7... but it was on the pointy end of the egg.... does it matter where the black spot and veins are developing???

First time doing this...if it wasn't already obvious!
big_smile.png

Seramas are not the most cold hardy variety. They are small, and not much reserve heat energy in small body. I keep my chicks inside all winter at above freezing. Not everyone can do this. Keeping them in your mixed flock should be OK. Look at my pix and you can see my serama getting along with the others with no problem. They tend to be at the bottom of the pecking order due to size. The inside under 50 degree suggestion is maybe for naked seramas. =D=D=D
WISHING YOU BEST
smile.png

So... if it drops to 30's then i would want to bring them indoors?... We have such long winters... I would feel bad keeping them penned up... and How are they able to roam around... Do you just let them wander the house and do " Clean up Aisle 5" when they do their business? I've been known to bring animals in the house when needed... ( baby goats for 4 weeks) but having the chickens in for Months could be quite interesting.

Michele

Yes indeed it gets a little challenging. I keep mine during winter in the garage facilities. The garage is heated with a wood stove. When it is cold, I fire up the stove. I have a regular life and a job, so am not able to keep it all warm and toasty all the time. I try to keep things above freezing, but the temps did fall into the 20 s when it was really cold outside. The chickens survived.
Here is my suggestion;;; You say that they will be inside a barn. That means you don't have to ventilate as much as if it was a small coop. Less drafts, means less cold air circulating. You can make a perch for them that would only be able to fit short chickens. Then provide some heat, for the very cold nights. Maybe a heat lamp. Be sure to do it safe so no fire hazard. There are other heat sources that are safe. Another option is to take them in for the night. Not inside the house but somewhere that temp is cool. Then return them into barn during day. You don't want big temp difference like home and outdoors. Provide plenty of food so they can turn calories into body warmth. Here is a pix of my winter facilities.

I like your ideas... thanks for sharing... When I have young chicks I put them in my downstairs bathroom ( in a long 4 1/2 foot long box) place a couple of branches for perching on the corners and use zipties to secure screen for the top. I also cut out a viewing hole on the sides and screen this in.. as I don't want them staring at brown cardboard sides all day.
smile.png

This seems to work very well and I wonder If I can use this set up for the Serama's in the really cold nights... I am just concerned that adding them back to the flock after the bringing them back and forth could be more stress on them then just say... a heating light in the barn on cold nights...

I guess that we will have to see how it goes..... I am hoping that at least 2 of my Serama eggs hatch!

Michele

I've been googling wintering with Seramas and came across this thread. I'm in Northern Virginia and this is my first year with Seramas. How did you end up doing with your winter? I only have 2 and could bring them in the garage or the house in a large bird cage if necessary.

Your climate is equivalent to mine. When temps drop below freezing, and you can bring them into garage where temps are slightly higher, (above freezing) then do it. Usually temps are low at night. During the day return to coop where temps may be fair.
@ccfoster66 WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

I keep mine outside with little to no heat to about 15f. I have one rooster that refuses to sleep inside where the heaters are even when it's well in the teens. His comb has lost a few points from frostbite but other than that no ill effects. They are far more hardy than people give them credit for. I think a lot of the fragile claims are just to help sensationalize the breed more than reality. I had chicks out in subfreezing weather with their mama last year and it didn't bother them at all. I was surprised she let them out at first but they were out and about all over the yard on day two.

Silly question but for those of you with seramas how big did you make the door opening? We are building a coop and currently are thinking of making the door 8x6. Is that big enough? Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom