Serama not budging after chick hatched

bigbird

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Northern Kentucky
I have a serama that hatched one egg. I brought her and the chick inside. The chick hatched last night, and she hasn’t moved from where I sat her down. She is eating and drinking, because I have food and water right in front of her. Her chick is mostly underneath her, but comes out to eat and drink. Is this normal behavior? I have only ever incubated and raised chicks without a hen. This is all so new for me. Thanks

I have a serama that hatched one egg. I brought her and the chick inside. The chick hatched last night, and she hasn’t moved from where I sat her down. She is eating and drinking, because I have food and water right in front of her. Her chick is mostly underneath her, but comes out to eat and drink. Is this normal behavior? I have only ever incubated and raised chicks without a hen. This is all so new for me. Thanks
Why have you brought them inside. They need access to natural ground as early as possible.

Should be fine. Move the food and water a little out of her reach. She'll get up when she wants.

Thank you so much. I brought them in because it’s snowing and freezing here. I also read that seramas aren’t supposed to be cold. I was worried about the chick. Chickens aren’t supposed to hatch in the winter, are they? The rooster that she was with was also stepping on the chick, and continually trying to do her. Just thought they would both be safer until the chick got a little bigger. I did take her outside for a few minutes and she did poop...., a lot! I guess that’s a good thing. She isn’t going in the huge rubbermade bucket I have them in.

We probably have very similar conditions as you have, and I just had a serama hatch chicks also, and another still on eggs. I guess they missed the memo that its winter here. :rolleyes:

My girl hatched 2, left the final egg, I finished incubating it and gave the chick back to her. 2 of the chicks have died, but I think they were pullet eggs, and the chicks are super tiny. I put a heat plate in the broody coop, but its still fairly cool. I hope the last one survives. I always tend to lose a few when they hatch in winter.

Worse though, is a couple of my seramas tend to cut the babies loose sooner than my other breeds, so I've had to bring young ones inside until it warms up, or they seem strong enough to survive in the cold.
440220AD-3A35-4007-816E-9E86FC081DDB.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom