Serama not budging after chick hatched

Thanks for asking. Nothing much has changed. She’ll eat/drink if it’s close to her. She’s being an excellent mother and the little one seems to be doing great. It’s pecking at food and drinks water when shown where it is.
I’ve taken her out twice today and she has pooped an amount each time as much as my sheltie! I was truly amazed for as little as she is. Lol
I have rocks in her waterer, and did use a pill holder for the little ones water/food. Put pebbles in that too. I can’t remember seeing anything that tiny, and drowning is definitely my biggest concern from everything that I’ve read.
You know, you just do the best you can, and it continues to be a learning experience. (-:

Im sure they will be fine. They seem to be getting on wonderfully. Taking the mother out to poop a couple of times a day is a good idea because broodies often poop right there in the nest in the first few days rather than get up and leave the chicks. I kept my serama in the house while she raised her single chick until the chick was four weeks old because she was soooo tiny, and it wasn't even winter. With only one chick it is much easier to keep mother and chick indoors for a while I think to be safe.

Incidentally my serama hen mothered her chick until she was eight weeks old, around which point she stopped sleeping with her in the nest and letting her take all the best morsels of food, BUT they have stayed together as best friends ever since. They do everything together and even recently co-brooded and Co-mothered a chick of their own.

Back
Top Bottom