Serama people!! will this work?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CrazyChickensEverwhere, Jun 20, 2011.

1. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Ok I made 5 breeding pens 2 big ones and 3 small pair ones. Well in Wisconsin winters are ruff, and I know serama roosters don't get along well. I was wondering sine I only have 2 insulated huts, could I keep the roos in one and hens in other? Would that stop any fights considering there is no hens to fight over??? [​IMG] I would only keep it like that in the brutel winter.

just a thought..

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I used to work on a farm where we kept all the studs in the barn, and all the mares outside. The boys were much calmer and easier to handle than if there were mixed genders in the barn, but one couldn't call them friends.

I've been super blessed to have two roosters who get along with each other, but I'm not so lucky as to have all the boys here be buds. Maybe you could match them up into two compatible groups, and two or three boys can be in separate pens with half the girls?
    [​IMG]

3. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    Ok I'll try that, first. I have to get my hands on a rooster! Haha

hansome roos!

4. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Consider making them 'hot plates' to warm themselves on! I've perfected the craft, but I can't sell them, as they aren't UL listed after I cut up electric cords and punch holes in cookie tins.......
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  5. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:The roo in the background is GORGEOUS! [​IMG]

6. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    Quote:thats interesting I might make one. Yeah the one insulated huts really warm the other one keeps it warmer then the outside lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by