Serama Specific Showing

MichelleKing

Songster
Aug 25, 2018
Ohio
I am in some serama facebook groups and there are TONS of serama shows all over the country.

I have a few questions (experienced folks please weigh in)
  • Non-recognized coloring : I've seen shows where there are tons of different colors. To my knowledge only black and white are recognized. Are the other serama shows different?
  • Is there a good resource for breed standards for Serama
  • Do you need to train your Serama prior to showing
  • Are there specific products you would recommend that enhance the overall appearance of the feathers, beak, and legs/feet
  • How would you recommend best transporting them
  • How do you avoid stressing them out in such a loud atmosphere

I have some pics of my seramas that I'm considering showing. I dont think they're show quality. I have 3 week old chicks that come from the Ohio Exchequer Champion, and so i do want to show those when they mature. I have an exchequer colored male that is fabulous.

I can post the pics if anyone is interested. Thanks!

• Non-recognized coloring : I've seen shows where there are tons of different colors. To my knowledge only black and white are recognized. Are the other serama shows different?
You are correct, black and white are the only recognized colors. Exchequer is probably going to be the next color to be recognized. If the seramas are being shown in cage than they are being shown as AOV or "Any Other Variety" which means that that bird is not a recognized color. AOVs are judged on type and cannot go any higher than 'Best of Variety'. If the seramas were shown on a table then all colors are allowed. These shows judge on character and type.
The 2014 (?.. I'll get back to you on that year) ABA standard has the American serama standard. The Serama Council of North America has both the American and Teaditionsl standards. Here's the traditional serama standard: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3niEP75umLBX1J1QWEzZ2ZqTlk/view .
For tabletop yes. You will need to train the bird to stay on the table and if it doesn't already stand tall, you will need to train it to do that.
In cage? Not so much.. You might want to train the bird not to freak out when being handled though.

• Are there specific products you would recommend that enhance the overall appearance of the feathers, beak, and legs/feet
VetRx for combs, wattle, and legs/feet. I also use olive oil when on black or mostly black birds.
I am planning on building a show transportation box, but for now I'm using cardboard boxes of crates.
I don't think chickens get freaked out as much by sound than they are movement. I would put them in cages in a bust part of your house for a few days before the show. Mine don't freak out at shows though so I dont know.

You are correct, black and white are the only recognized colors. Exchequer is probably going to be the next color to be recognized. If the seramas are being shown in cage than they are being shown as AOV or "Any Other Variety" which means that that bird is not a recognized color. AOVs are judged on type and cannot go any higher than 'Best of Variety'. If the seramas were shown on a table then all colors are allowed. These shows judge on character and type.
The 2014 (?.. I'll get back to you on that year) ABA standard has the American serama standard. The Serama Council of North America has both the American and Teaditionsl standards. Here's the traditional serama standard: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3niEP75umLBX1J1QWEzZ2ZqTlk/view .
For tabletop yes. You will need to train the bird to stay on the table and if it doesn't already stand tall, you will need to train it to do that.
In cage? Not so much.. You might want to train the bird not to freak out when being handled though.

VetRx for combs, wattle, and legs/feet. I also use olive oil when on black or mostly black birds.
I am planning on building a show transportation box, but for now I'm using cardboard boxes of crates.
I don't think chickens get freaked out as much by sound than they are movement. I would put them in cages in a bust part of your house for a few days before the show. Mine don't freak out at shows though so I dont know.
Awesome awesome info thank you so much!!!!

I am in some serama facebook groups and there are TONS of serama shows all over the country.

I have a few questions (experienced folks please weigh in)

I have some pics of my seramas that I'm considering showing. I dont think they're show quality. I have 3 week old chicks that come from the Ohio Exchequer Champion, and so i do want to show those when they mature. I have an exchequer colored male that is fabulous.

I can post the pics if anyone is interested. Thanks!
My I ask who you got you Exchequer Seramas from ? I live in Florida and I'm having a hard time finding any.

My I ask who you got you Exchequer Seramas from ? I live in Florida and I'm having a hard time finding any.
Your best bet would be to get in contact with a breeder- visit a show, find some Serama breeders, and work from there.
https://www.poultryshowcentral.com/Florida.html
this is a list of all the upcoming florida shows

This is a soley-Serama show coming up:
https://www.poultryshowcentral.com/Sunshine_Serama_Council_Inaugural_Show.html

And this is a Serama breeder I met in January. If you talk to her, she can probably tell you a lot about Seramas, get you some, or get you in touch with somebody who can sell you Seramas.
https://www.facebook.com/SunsetSeramas

Back
Top Bottom