Seramas Scabby Tail Feathers?

DragonEggs

Songster
9 Years
May 11, 2010
Borger, TX
I bought a young pair of Seramas a couple of weeks ago. Their cage mates had plucked out their tail and back feathers. I've had them seperated from my main flock to allow their feathers to grow back. I noticed today that the females feathers had grown back considerably while the male didn't seem to show much progress. I took him out to check him and noticed his tail was very scabby and swollen. I ran it under warm water and pulled off a pretty good size scab. The flesh underneath looks pink and healthy. There was a tiny amount of blood from some of the feather holes since when I pulled off the scab it pulled out some roots, but the feathers weren't growing, they looked like ingrown hairs. It was still very swollen and I noticed some other feather roots that looked kind of like ingrown hairs that were very swollen. I pulled out the worst looking ones and the root was very slimy and there was a little bit of pus like stuff. I cleaned his little tail off again with warm water and put him back in with his mate. Is this something normal that happens when they lose a lot of tail feathers? Did I do the right thing? What else should I do for him?

I'll try to post pictures of what his tail looks like now all cleaned up after he calms down a bit.

I have never had that happen. The best thing would be triple antibiotic ointment and checking it often. Make sure that it isn't pecked again. It could be infected.
hmm.png

I have the same problem with mine, I wish I had seen your post before I posted my own. infected hair follicle, that seems reasonable, still dont know what to do about it.

Help anyone?

56592_img00057.jpg

Yep, thats EXACTLY what mine looked like! I picked off all the scabs and plucked the feathers that looked bad and cleaned it really good. I went back and put antibiotic ointment on it. Today the swelling has gone down considerably, the skin looks healthy and new feathers are already growing! There are only a couple of tiny pin point scabs where the really bad feather follicles bled a little when I picked out bad feathers.

Back
Top Bottom