Seramas - what to do?

TurtleFeathers

Fear the Turtle!
14 Years
Jan 9, 2009
By the Chesapeake Bay
Hi folks -

Need a bit of help.

I have a beautiful little "accident" here - she hatched from a bantam Polish egg, and was evidently fathered by one of my serama roos (not really what I was expecting - LOL!). She's a nice sort of "mottled" chocolate color (or dun, I guess, from her Polish mom), and so far, she's tiny, she has a single comb, yellow legs/feet, and her body style is more along the lines of a serama than it is Polish.

One problem: she has a little mohawk-ish crest. Its cute as all get-out, but I just don't see the "crested serama" catching on...

So, if I breed her back to seramas, and select her offspring for little or no crests, and continue breeding them back to seramas, how long will it take to get rid of that crest? Is it really worth attempting? To keep the chocolate color, I mean?

Thanks so much!

I was just thinking about crested Seramas! I think it would be very cool, way cooler than the booted type! Breed for it! Next year I might be able to help you!

It shouldn't take more than a generation or two to get rid of the crest. Pullet? Breed her back to her father!

Ok folks, here she is - her name is Trudy, and she's 8 weeks old. I took various pics in various different settings/lighting/positions, because I was having a hard time getting her true color to come thru on the picture. Let me know what you think!

20890_trudy5.jpg

20890_trudy4.jpg

20890_trudy1.jpg

20890_trudy3.jpg

20890_trudy2.jpg

The caption for the last picture should be, " YOU have a problem with my 'do?".

Hahahah, cute chick!
big_smile.png

I personally think you should hold on to her, not necessarily to try and breed a line of crested seramas, but for entertainment's sake alone. She looks as if she's got a unique future ahead of her.

Back
Top Bottom