Seramas - what to do?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TurtleFeathers, Nov 18, 2009.

1. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Hi folks -

Need a bit of help.

I have a beautiful little "accident" here - she hatched from a bantam Polish egg, and was evidently fathered by one of my serama roos (not really what I was expecting - LOL!). She's a nice sort of "mottled" chocolate color (or dun, I guess, from her Polish mom), and so far, she's tiny, she has a single comb, yellow legs/feet, and her body style is more along the lines of a serama than it is Polish.

One problem: she has a little mohawk-ish crest. Its cute as all get-out, but I just don't see the "crested serama" catching on...

So, if I breed her back to seramas, and select her offspring for little or no crests, and continue breeding them back to seramas, how long will it take to get rid of that crest? Is it really worth attempting? To keep the chocolate color, I mean?

Thanks so much!

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I was just thinking about crested Seramas! I think it would be very cool, way cooler than the booted type! Breed for it! Next year I might be able to help you!

3. apc

apc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Chickland, Il
    Thats pretty cool, I'd so buy some!

4. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    It shouldn't take more than a generation or two to get rid of the crest. Pullet? Breed her back to her father!

5. TurtleFeathers

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Thanks guys - Kooshie and apc, get in touch with me in the spring, ok?

6. vyshtia

vyshtia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Norco, CA
    Post a picture! I'd love to see how she looks compared to mine!

7. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    This post needs a picture! I'm dieing to see how the chick looks!!

8. TurtleFeathers

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Ok, will do - first thing in the AM, ok?

9. TurtleFeathers

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Ok folks, here she is - her name is Trudy, and she's 8 weeks old. I took various pics in various different settings/lighting/positions, because I was having a hard time getting her true color to come thru on the picture. Let me know what you think!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    The caption for the last picture should be, " YOU have a problem with my 'do?".

Hahahah, cute chick! [​IMG]

I personally think you should hold on to her, not necessarily to try and breed a line of crested seramas, but for entertainment's sake alone. She looks as if she's got a unique future ahead of her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by