Seramas - what to do?

Aww she is cute Kathy!

I hope my little brownish girls ends up like that. Mine has feathers about the same color as the feathers in your girls tail. She is super sweet and jumps out of the cage and onto my hand or arm whenever I open the cage door.

TurtleFeathers, I'm not a big fan of crossbreeding anything really, but good gosh is she a cute little thing! She looks like a titmouse with that little backwards do. Well, they all look cute for that matter.
big_smile.png

And your original question... theoretically it would take 7 generations going back to Serama X this girl.

Last edited:
Quote:
LOL!! Thanks - Trudy's full name is actually "Trudy Titmouse" - I thought *I* was the only one that saw the resemblance!!!

No, I'm not a big fan of cross breeding either - especially a breed like a serama. Trudy was kind of an "accident" - but once she hatched and started growing, I couldn't resist trying a few more. I gave the next batch of crossed eggs to Deb (Sun Angel) and she hatched a few of them (see her pics above). And I sent a few in a batch of eggs to Vyshtia, too. So there are others floating around out there, but Trudy is the only one I personally have. Based on everyone's opinions, I may have to try this again in the spring!

Deb - yours are beautiful!!! Love the colors - can't wait to see them when they're mature!!

Quote:
Thanks catwalk - but the birds did all the work!!! *I* didn't do anything at all! LOL!

Here is my lil one. I named her Jasmine - at least I hope it's a "her"! She's very sweet and I wouldn't mind getting some more so she has some friends of her own kind. lol

12131_1252560403567_1516245535_30672023_4965936_n.jpg

15932_1258309147282_1516245535_30686367_7655162_n.jpg

15932_1258309187283_1516245535_30686368_4079052_n.jpg

Here, she's obviously the lil one on the left. She is the same age (4wks) as the other white EE (Turtlefeather's) and the Ameraucana.

15932_1260355758446_1516245535_30691736_2500274_n.jpg

I like her .You should trie to work that look. I had somthing simuler that happend to me this summer. My Serama Rooster was with my D'anver flock and was maiting my hen so now I have D'anver /Serama crosses thay have a serama tip body not as long of a tail and large rose comes and lots of face muff also the serama lobs. good luck

Vyshtia - Jasmine is gorgeous! She looks very similar to Trudy, only a bit lighter? BTW, that EE in the middle of the second pic - see this thread for what that one might look like one day:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=229655

Bantima - I have no clue what Trudy's genotype is, so I couldn't even begin to tell you what her phenotype is! Mom (bantam Polish) was either a WC chocolate or a WC khaki cuckoo, which would be easy to figure, but her dad was one of two serama roos, one reddish, one whitish, both with some sort of mottling. To date, I haven't been able to put an exact name on any of my serama's patterns or colors.

I am beginning to wonder if these Polish/Serama mixes can be sexed by their combs when very young?

I think I only have one girl out of 11 chicks. She has a straight comb (like your girl Kathy) and all the others turned out to be roos. Their combs were straight at the bottom, but split to a V near the top. Every one of them that I thought at first might be a girl, but got the v combs at the top, turned out to be roos. It would be interesting to hatch more of these and see if it holds true.

I have 1 little black chick (the last one pictured in my group) whose comb is changing to the v at the top now. I am waiting for it to end up being a roo. Will let you know if it does.

My little roos have more poof on their heads also.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you! She does look a lot like Trudy, just a lot lighter and has a lot more crest on her head...I hope that doesn't mean mine's a roo! My friends and family all love her and think she's very unique and completely adorable, so I think there would be a market for birds like her. I will make up my mind when I see how they turn out as adults. Seeing how much these little mutts change is REALLY amazing and I absolutely love it. I think that mixes are good as long as only good traits are enhanced and they have the hybrid vigor. It seems as if all these lil serama/polish mixes are quite consistent in their look - if not in their coloring....

OMG!!!
ep.gif
I can't believe how much your EE changed!! That's just crazy!! Funny thing is - I think that one is a roo too. There are 3 that will play fight with each other all the time, 1 of the Ameraucana's, the white barred EE, and one of your blue EE's. Going on behavior alone - I'm thinking those are the roos. Don't know...
idunno.gif
The Ameraucana "roo" is the largest of the entire group and that one has to definitely be a roo...when I integrated into the rest of my flock, he was the only one that stood up and tried to fight my full grown game hen.
gig.gif
It was adorable. Luckily she very "gently" showed him who was boss with a single peck. But he had his neck feathers all poofed out and everything. The white barred EE, Sokka, is the 2nd largest of the group and was always the largest from hatch until recently when the Ameraucana roo passed her. He is very gentle and friendly and one of my favorites. I'm getting the roo vibe from him but I hope I'm wrong! I have another that's a dark brown/chocolate barred EE...don't have a good picture of her. But here is one of Marilyn, she has light tan/yellowish on her head/back and then bluish tinge underneath...very interesting. She's one of my favorites too...

15932_1260356038453_1516245535_30691742_6545527_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom