1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Seramas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Picco, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I have seen a few Seramamas at a show and I'm now really interested but I was told they can't handle the cold winters, is this true?

2. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    I'm in the north and I got serama. Mine live in the house!!!

3. pam

pam Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2007
    puyallup, wa
    Hi..I have Seramas. They seem to be fine in the hen house with a heat lamp. I live in the Northwest...Puyallup Washington.

4. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    where i live it drops in the low 30s and mine are out side they seem to do fine i do cover them with tarps to keep them dry and the wind off of them .

5. tailfluff

tailfluff Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello! I'm in Washington and I keep seramas too. They live inside but they have a heated coop outside too. I still have the heat lamp turned on for them during the day in their outside house. [​IMG] I have heard people tell me that the seramas are a lot hardier than they're given credit for but I don't want to be the one to find out the hard way!

6. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    I've only had mine about a month but I plan on mine living in the garage at night through winter months. We have an ac unit do we can heat/cool the garage. They currently are in there now with no heat lamp and it's about 75 out there.

7. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Wow, our seramas must feel abused. We have only A's and B'a, we kept them outside almost all winter, it got down to 0 degrees and they were fine, just had a nice tight coop for them to be in out of the wind. When it dropped below 0 I moved them into an uninsulated building that had a small heater in it, kept it around 25 degrees....and ours are silkied....they can handle colder temps than most people give them credit for, but with any bird, when you start getting into extremes, you may lose one or two that arent the hardy ones....but for good hardy, vigorous stock, breeding from only the hardiest birds will give you good hardy birds...I know its not the most popular idea but a tried and true one...

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  8. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Ohio is a virtual mecca of Seramas, and I find that they handle the winter very well. I don't keep them outside when it's cold, but that's because I'm a sissy and don't want to go out there. Just make sure they have protection from drafts, deep bedding, and liquid water. Many breeders around here feed corn in the winter, as it's a high energy food and will help keep them warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by