Serial ducklings

Maybe mama duck thought I was the predator and it was time to move! She doesn't like me too much and always keeps her distance.

What is the temperature like there? What predators? We get feral cats and foxes.
Temp wasn't too bad this morning on 32F got up to 43F this afternoon, not bad at all for January.

Predators we have, foxes, bears, coyote, weasel, mink, raccoon, bob cat, hawks, eagle , owls, opossum, domestic dogs, we also have Mt. Lions,rats, snakes. to name a few. lol feral cats also but only have to worry about them when we have babies.

yikes! We think we have it bad in Australia with sharks and crocodiles as well as various species of deadly snakes, molluscs, jelly fish and spiders. But fortunately most of those don't live nearby, least not where they can get to my ducks!

Another question on that though. We do get a fox problem at this time of the year (Summer). I saw a fox in the farm paddock behind my place. Unfortunately my ducks and chickens are not in a fox proof enclosure. My dog poops in the yard so I have been throwing it over the back fence hoping it will deter any foxes. Any idea if this works to deter predators?

yikes! We think we have it bad in Australia with sharks and crocodiles as well as various species of deadly snakes, molluscs, jelly fish and spiders. But fortunately most of those don't live nearby, least not where they can get to my ducks!

Another question on that though. We do get a fox problem at this time of the year (Summer). I saw a fox in the farm paddock behind my place. Unfortunately my ducks and chickens are not in a fox proof enclosure. My dog poops in the yard so I have been throwing it over the back fence hoping it will deter any foxes. Any idea if this works to deter predators?
Welcome to BYC from another Auzzie!

I am having a chronic fox problem. I have had a kit after my ducks very agressively. I knew we had foxes, one took Talli back in 2012 when we first moved in, about this time last year I noticed the big tawny monster up the road that has no right being that big for a fox. Since that night in 2012 when Talli was taken I had not seen a fox in the yard, and though I always hear kits calling in winter I thought no way were they coming in here....Until this one recently not once but twice came after the same duck.

My partner says he's going to take the duck down the shop to pick some Lotto numbers!

He also told me he saw the 2 kits playing with their mum in the back paddock. I was pretty sure the burrow was up there because my stallion kicked up a fuss one day and I thought it had to be them. From the description, mum fox is the one that took Talli...I forgave her back then, knowing she had kits to feed and after having some killed by dogs years ago I appreciated the difference. What to do? I dont know. I dont really want to hurt them, but I cant have my ducks hurt either. I dont have a dog but Im getting one - not only is the scent a deterrant but a dog will tell you somethings up and generally help affirm the place as your territory.

Late out of the shed, early to bed....And me on constant watch until I get a little canine help. Thats my only fox advice for now.

Good fencing and also I have read human urine will also deter them from coming around so maybe between you and your dog you can keep them[foxes at bay] but I strongly believe in good fencing and locked up tight at night .

I believe ya'll win on the snakes and spiders although we have some pretty bad venomous snakes here and a few bad spiders too.

Good fencing and also I have read human urine will also deter them from coming around so maybe between you and your dog you can keep them[foxes at bay] but I strongly believe in good fencing and locked up tight at night .

I believe ya'll win on the snakes and spiders although we have some pretty bad venomous snakes here and a few bad spiders too.
The house yard is well fenced, the little blighters jump the one spot thats slightly lower than the rest. My partner says if he wasnt so greedy, and had gone for a smaller duck, he would have got it.

Right where they would land, jumping over the fence, I mark. Some people say Im crackers, but when he jumps into my land I want him to KNOW straight away, its my territory. I have multiple cats at all times, I know these rules!

Im looking at some dogs right now, all from the rescue shelters. Im showing next week with the horse but I will apply for an adoption after that.

wink.png
wait till you see a Huntsmen. Their venom is mild but you will never sleep right again.

The house yard is well fenced, the little blighters jump the one spot thats slightly lower than the rest. My partner says if he wasnt so greedy, and had gone for a smaller duck, he would have got it.

Right where they would land, jumping over the fence, I mark. Some people say Im crackers, but when he jumps into my land I want him to KNOW straight away, its my territory. I have multiple cats at all times, I know these rules!

Im looking at some dogs right now, all from the rescue shelters. Im showing next week with the horse but I will apply for an adoption after that.

wink.png
wait till you see a Huntsmen. Their venom is mild but you will never sleep right again.
I'll have to look up this spider. Good luck in your showing. and dog adoption
smile.png

Thankyou and thankyou!

Sorry to hijack the thread

We had our dress rehearsal today

About Huntsmen, I heard a comedian once say "Now there's a spider big enough to give you the finger as it strolls past"
Oh my gosh how gorgeous. what all do you do with him? her? and look at that bush all in bloom makes me want spring so bad. lol

she looks lovely! I think I just got lucky getting a good Pekin brooder and duckling raiser as they seem uncommon by what people say here.

The usual routine (now onto third clutch in one season) is she lays about 7-8 eggs and leaves them on the nest. Then she starts building up the nest and sitting on them occasionally for a few hours at a time. Then she starts sitting on them full time. Apparently the temperature rise when she sits on them full time signals the embryos to start developing so they all hatch at about the same time. Amazing.

I have to say watching her brood and raise her second duckling by herself was really enjoyable especially as the duckling was on the pond straight away, as they pick up water proofing oils from their mother's coat. Also no daily clean out of the ducklings inside bathtub for a month like with the first lot of little poopers!

I've got a Pekin girl that hatched out 10 last spring and raised 8 to adult hood all on her own.
I'm hopeful she tries again this spring. :)

Back
Top Bottom