Serious development in 2 days. WARNING graphic image

okay so I did the cleaning, honey, and pushed it back in. no egg came out, some poo but she was pooping before I tried to push it in. it is still about half way out and now she is in a dark cage. we shall see.
nickeechickee im in the same boat, I just want to at least give her a chance to live.

is this sort of thing preventable? im just wondering if I did something to cause it.

Here can be causes of the prolapse. Its nothing you have done. Common causes are chickens that begin laying too young and are underweight
eggs that are too large
older chickens that are obese
a calcium deficiency
holding droppings for a long period of time, causing stress and stretching of the cloaca

Yea i did stick my finger up there but I didn't feel anything. I only felt around in the first two inches or so, perhaps its further in?

I don't know if helps...

My Pekin had a severe bulge like that a little over a week ago. We gave her an epsom salt bath, lubed it up with some personal lube (water-based) and I shoved back in what I could. Kept her in quarantine in my darkened garage for a week and gave her antibiotics for the week just in case to hopefully prevent an infection. She laid an egg the first night and one two days later but since has not laid anything (I think the darkened room may have been the cause of that). The swelling went down and now what is left of the protrusion is darkened but hidden by her feathers. She has not laid but is eating and drinking and pooping and doing all of her normal duck things so I'm hoping things are clear now. I put her back in with the other birds yesterday and as of this morning no ill effects.

I did a lot of reading and it sounds like there is a high risk of it happening again so I will be keeping a close eye on her. My farmer friends all said I should put her down but I don't have the heart to do it while she is still acting completely normal.
If you don't mind her not laying eggs, you can have your vet give her Lupon hormone injections a couple of times a year to prevent laying. Spaying is another option for those with lots of $$$.

okay so I did the cleaning, honey, and pushed it back in. no egg came out, some poo but she was pooping before I tried to push it in. it is still about half way out and now she is in a dark cage. we shall see.
nickeechickee im in the same boat, I just want to at least give her a chance to live.

is this sort of thing preventable? im just wondering if I did something to cause it.
I'm so glad to hear that it was successful. Many who have posted on here about this problem will report that it happens again for a day or two and then stops once the swelling goes down. However some (usually ones who are not treated right away) can't be saved. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Last edited:
I hope she does ok. We put ours down because she was very sick and in a lot of pain, or seemed to be. I just couldn't bear messing with her when she was suffering already, and she was not very fond of people to begin with. If we have another (gawd I hope not) I may get up enough nerve to try some of the suggestions here....

Update as dismal as it may be, but I'm really wondering if I got to this to late. This all developed over a 48 hour period. (food and water was ample in that time) When I left everything was A okay, but when I returned she was in this condition. Starting to think that if the wound was exposed that long then its beyond the point of repair. She still has some of herself hanging outside and it is constantly leaking yolk like fluid and poo. Starting to think waiting to see if it gets better is really just letting the bird suffer longer than need be.....thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom