Serious development in 2 days. WARNING graphic image

SWVirginia

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 8, 2013
hey all,
so one of my tetratents has had something go seriously wrong with her in the last two days. Her anus is essentially on the outside of here or some sort infection has grow right on it. I have no idea whats going on

She looks to have a prolapsed vent. Other chickens will see it and start pecking it, making it worse. Bring her in the house, soak her bottom in some epsom salts or some dish soapy warm water, and clean her off. If the bath isn't possible, just clean her off. If you have honey or Preparation H in the house, apply some and try to push the tissue back inside. The longer it stays out the harder it will get, she may not be able to poo, and the tissue could die. She may have had this from laying too large of an egg, there could be an egg stuck now, or she is constipated. I would also feel inside the vent for an egg (soft or hard) just in case.

Possibly a prolapse. I would ask a vet. Anyway, bumping this up for you in case others have a suggestion. If it's a prolapse, there are ways to repair it, but when we had a hen with prolapse we put her down. It's difficult to repair.

After all of the drama is over, hopefully, I would place her in a cage and either cover it or place her in a dark room for 16 hours a day. This will take a couple of days, but may prevent her from laying eggs to complicate this. Prolapse may recur so check her often. I hope you can get it pushed back inside.

Also give her some calcium--a Tums tablet, 1/2 adult calcium tablet, crushed eggshells ground up and put in some yogurt or scrambled egg. You can also buy liquid calcium from a farm store.

You need to clean the area and very gently, with a glove and lube check the inside of her vent for a stuck egg.

-Kathy

She looks to have a prolapsed vent.  Other chickens will see it and start pecking it, making it worse.  Bring her in the house, soak her bottom in some epsom salts or some dish soapy warm water, and clean her off.  If the bath isn't possible, just clean her off.  If you have honey or Preparation H in the house, apply some and try to push the tissue back inside.  The longer it stays out the harder it will get, she may not be able to poo, and the tissue could die.  She may have had this from laying too large of an egg, there could be an egg stuck now, or she is constipated.  I would also feel inside the vent for an egg (soft or hard) just in case.

X2! Great advice!

-Kathy

okay, wow thanks everyone for the advice. I did give her a bath, but im going to go in and check for an egg. feeling awful for her, but im going to try my best and hopefully she can stay strong and make it!

I don't know if helps...

My Pekin had a severe bulge like that a little over a week ago. We gave her an epsom salt bath, lubed it up with some personal lube (water-based) and I shoved back in what I could. Kept her in quarantine in my darkened garage for a week and gave her antibiotics for the week just in case to hopefully prevent an infection. She laid an egg the first night and one two days later but since has not laid anything (I think the darkened room may have been the cause of that). The swelling went down and now what is left of the protrusion is darkened but hidden by her feathers. She has not laid but is eating and drinking and pooping and doing all of her normal duck things so I'm hoping things are clear now. I put her back in with the other birds yesterday and as of this morning no ill effects.

I did a lot of reading and it sounds like there is a high risk of it happening again so I will be keeping a close eye on her. My farmer friends all said I should put her down but I don't have the heart to do it while she is still acting completely normal.

Back
Top Bottom