1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Serious Eye Issues....Need Help, Ideas, Possible Treatment?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fireguy56, Aug 20, 2011.

1. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, Really need some help from more experienced than us. Noticed a day or so ago that one of the hens (3 months old) was sluggish. Yesterday, noticed her eye was pussed over and red and swollen. See picture below. Wiped with warm compresses and put neosporin on it as recommended by "Brian" someone who posted on backyard chickens. Today noticed that 3 of our 8 week olds whom this particular hen hung around with also have it, one as bad as her and the others just starting out with what appears like a little swelling around the eye socket causing the eye to partially close. Have separated all four from the other hens and put some antiobiotic in their water. Also put antibiotic in the other hens spare waterers separated from the chicken nipples just as a precaution. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is there something else we can do to help this. Has anyone seen anything like this, if so, what is the treatment and the prognosis. Thanks for your help. Erik and Judy

[​IMG]

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I wonder if it could be a severe case of poultry eye worm?

3. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    Poor thing I have NO idea what this could be. I hope she gets well my prayers are with u and your hen [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by