Serious Fur Trapping

No, I don't. I have done a few furs for my personal collection but I ship 99.8% of my furs to the auction.

At NAFA(North American Fur Auction) your furs are graded and put into lots with 1000s of other furs of the same grade. Buyers(China Russia etc) will then bid on the lots. After that, they are tanned and cut into strips for the garment industry. Most will be for the trim trade meaning sleeve cuffs, hood and hat edging and stuff like that.

Prices are alot like grain prices, they can fluctuate at a moments notice. Things like cold weather, import tariff taxes and farm raised fur prices set the market for our US fur selling over seas.

I use to buy and sell antiques. I bought an old chest of drawers that still had the personal effects of the previous owner in it. Among these effects was a personal journal and a Mississippi trapping license both covering the 1933-34 season. In 1934 the Mississippi cotton farmer this chest of drawers once belonged to made more cash money in only two months from trapping than he earned in 9 months of farming an 12 acre cotton allotment in the summer Mississippi Sun.

Simple logic proves that pinching the toes of furbearers is the ultimate form of sustainable, natural, and organic agriculture, beating the cultivation of anything in second place, hands down. Then there is the FACT that if you look down on wearing fur, your not serious about natural organics or sustainability.

Last edited:
We do have some big coon here in Nebraska. There are several in the 35+ pound range hanging in that pile.

I use a variety of traps, but most of the coons were caught in Duke dog proofs baited with marshmallows or cat food. Caught a few in dirt hole sets meant for foxes also.

Last year at NAFA a lot of guys here averaged $35-$40 for coon. I know several guys that had coon sell in the $90s last season. Seems like the market has came down a bit but Im hoping to pull a $25-$30 average.

I'll know more info on how my fur did this year in about a month. My fur in the photo will be in the February 17th auction.

In 1934 the Mississippi cotton farmer this chest of drawers once belonged to made more cash money in only two months from trapping than he earned in 9 months of farming an 12 acre cotton allotment in the summer Mississippi Sun.   

I don't doubt that at all. There's a couple older guys around here that trap sun up to sun down from November 1st until Christmas and most years they clear $20,000 easy.

It seems that the price of fur was hurt last year by the crack down in China on government corruption. I've read that fur coats either for themselves, their wives, their girlfriends, or their mistresses was a favorite way for Chinese business men to bribe government officials.

Do you air skin your pelts, or do you prefer the cut, tug, grunt, and cut some more method?

Last year was record high fur prices for the last decade or so. But yes, there was a big bust overseas dealing with buyers in China trying to avoid the 35% import tariff. A lot of guys are worried that this will reflect bad on this years sales and prices. If China decides to stay home and only deal with their ranch mink, wild fur will take a hit this year.

I'm a cut and pull guy, but my friends who are more serious than I am have skinning machines rigged up. Basically an electric winch with vice grips mounted below. Opening cuts are made and the winch does the rest. Pretty slick setup. I may have one up for next year. Air skinning is a myth almost, it does help a bit around the shoulders and neck but it definitely does not do the job for you. I can skin a warm coon in about 4 minutes so I don't bother with a compressor. I take my time fleshing though if I get carried away and try to rush things, I'll end up with a hole or two.

I hold a grudge against all coons. They eat all the watermelons, ducks, chickens, quail,and guineas. I trap them with #1 1/2 Blake and lamb traps and use cat food or marshmallows or coon bait from FNT POST. When I catch them I put a .22 hollowpoint bullet right between there eyes. Never release any predator. I skin them and tan the furs.

Glad this post popped up, thanks for the info guys. I've always been "into" trapping. I say it that way cause I've never had anyone to really show me the ropes so I just trap the things that bother me around the house and if I don't eat them, the chickens do. I'd like to find out what I should do with hides to get them ready to sell. Any chance any of you could point me in the right direction for some how to videos or something? If I get the jist of it I can get practicing.

Back
Top Bottom