((Serious Gardening))

Smittenroade

Songster
8 Years
Jan 31, 2011
North East Texas
Any old hippies on here do hydroponics or anything?
old.gif
Or maybe someone with fifty acres of commercial plants? Care to share your super secret soil mixes? I have a couple dozen jiffy pot plants starting in my closet right now. Getting ahead of the game. I can't wait until spring, I have a feeling its going to be a good year of harvest. My current project is building a shade house to put a couple plants under. Maybe even run a drip system through or an ebb and flow system would be cool too.
cool.png
Ill throw a couple pics up soon to show the work in progress. This year Im going to be growing a couple things to supplement into my chickens diet as well, because food prices are soaring. Corn just keeps going up and up and up!!!
hit.gif
he.gif
ep.gif
Every little bit helps, ya know?

I love gardening too! Cant wait to get my hands back into the dirt. (Right now it is still covered with 2 foot of snow.) Going to be awhile. I have gone through my seeds and made my list of things I"m going to plant. Of course, as I see different seeds I always end up adding other things. I tested some of my saved bean seed to see how they are going to sprout. 10 of 10 sprouted out of the 3 varieties so that was promising. I also want to plant to supplement my chickens, and the wild birds. Darned things are eating me out of house and home . I spend lots more on the wild birds than the chickens. Sure fun to watch though. Last year we made a grow tunnel and started some things early . We hooped over some cattle panels then covered with heavy plastic. Worked really nice. We're making plans for a little green house. In the past I have just started things in our living room window which works fine except when you want to carry things in and out as the weather gets nicer. Good Luck and happy planting.

Yea I know this stupid winter will NEVER end!
hmm.png
Thats why I started up in my closet, I have like 12 jalepenos, 12 tomatoes, 12 bell peppers and 12 massive sunflowers starting in my closet right now. 10 out of 10 is good, what kind of beans are they?
lol.png
hah I had like 50 cardinals dining on my expensive highly delicious scratch today. So I made my border collie sit and stay by the coop to run them off. How are you going to build the greenhouse? Im starting off with a PVC frame, and am thinking about the which design I should follow. PVC seems easy at first but then you get into home depot or lowes and they have EVERY PVC fitting except the one you need.
barnie.gif

I'm not doing hydroponics, but this year I have the BEST compost I think I have ever, ever had. Did I mention, like, EVER? Just started keeping chooks last year, so it must be all the chicken manure that made it so much better this year or something, I dunno. It is just the best compost. We had thrown some old potatoes into the compost heap to break down, but instead they sprouted & when we went to dig out compost to put into the garden, there were these big green vines... darn it, I thought, now we got weeds growing in the compost pile, that's just dandy! Went to pull them out, the roots and everything came up... I looked closely at the orbs that appeared to be, to say the least, misshapen eggs scattered throughout. Lo and behold, BABY POTATOES! I accidentally grew potatoes in my compost heap and didn't even know it.

Hubby worked some of the compost into one of the raised beds for me, and I planted spinach, arugula, and lettuce in that bed. I kid you not, those seeds (which were last year's seeds, no less) sprouted in only 4 days.

I never thought I would get so tickled and so excited over something so small and so very simple.

I've tried hydroponics, but I just don't like it as much as regular soil. It is usually more expensive, and it is harder to find organic fertilizers that won't clog up the works. For potting soil, I like to mix compost, coir, vermicompost, and an organic fertilizer like Dr. Earth. Outside I mix steer manure and/or compost into the soil with the organic fertilizer.

I'm working on finishing the winter pruning for our roses...I think I have one left. We put in a bed of kale, collards, salad greens, spinach, and chives the other day. I started roma tomatoes, scarlet runner beans, bok choy, and more chives in a flat. We're making two new beds this year, and I plan on doing a three sisters garden with sweet corn, beans, and sugar pie pumpkins. If I time it right, we should be able to get two harvests since we're zone 9.

Last year I got way too excited and had cucumbers blooming in the basement in april (we can't plant till mid may). This year I am taking a break and buying my plants. Basement is all tore up from plumbing issues and we have 2 silkies down there till we get the other coop built. I have started picking up my direct plant seeds--greens and carrots. My favorite ingredient is horse or cow poo, this will be my first year with chicken poo. We are moving the raised beds and are going to try trellising some of the climbers. Yes I am excited and cannot wait for this season. But with the comming thaw comes the worst job of the year-------------------picking up water logged dog poo.

There is NOTHING like waking up in the morning to the smell of fresh dirt and oxygenated air coming from your closet. Sunflowers sprouted today.
big_smile.png
I am thinking about composting pretty soon, anyone got any tips on composting? Havent looked into it much, and this is the first year Ive had chickens poo.
We put in a bed of kale, collards, salad greens, spinach, and chives the other day. I started roma tomatoes, scarlet runner beans, bok choy, and more chives in a flat.

Sounds like your chickens are going to be pretty happy this year! There is just something so special about being self sufficient and being close to mother earth.
love.gif

Heres my closet

78558_img_1213.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I don't count as a serious gardener according to your above qualifications -- I'm neither old, nor a hippy, nor growing fifty or more acres and I'm not on the hydroponics trend band wagon either -- but I am itching for the growing season.
wink.png

No secret soil secrets here. Ample compost, plenty of water, regular inspection for arising problems -- and quick dealing with those problems when they do -- seems to work fine here so I keep it simple. I prefer jiffy pellets for seed starting. I start in decent quantity and they're quick, easy and convenient to both use and keep neat and organized.

We won't be planting much for another few weeks though. Our last frost date isn't until mid-May.

lol
lol.png
I thought it was stupid to name it "serious gardening" after I did it. The best gardener is what you just explained. Keep it nice and simple, thats the best way to garden. Gardening is a way of life, slow and in balance. I have learned so much about life through gardening its amazing...Patience is now a value I hold very dear.

Back
Top Bottom