Serious Injury

Pics

Cambra

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2020
Hello All,
About a week ago, one of my hens was seriously injured when attacked by some type of predator. I found her just sitting inside the coop. Her neck was literally ripped open. When she ducks her head to drink, there is only bone and tendon/ligament left. The neck feathers cover the injury for the most part. But her crop was also torn. When she drinks only a small amount is actually swallowed as most of it runs from her neck. I immediately used antibiotic sprays and tended to the wounds as much as I could. She’s in a hospital pen by herself now. She has not eaten since the attack and likely won’t soon due to the crop injury. She stands on her own and moves around fine. When the other birds are out roaming I let her out to stretch her legs. But she drinks constantly. Does anyone have advice. She does not appear to be in pain or distressed. I’ve continued to spray the wound with antibiotic spray and keep her clean where the water drains to keep out flies and infection. My main question is- do you think there is a chance for healing or should I just go ahead and euthanize her?

Honestly it sounds like putting her down may be the best option (assuming the bird is in lots of pain). But right now I think you are doing all that can be done. If you are able to find a vet that will see poultry, that may be an option as well. But they’ll most likely advise to have her euthanized.

Fingers crossed for your chickie :fl

Tagging: @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

Post pictures of the injury. Cut away the feathers so that you (and we!) can see it properly. Keep her INSIDE, in a warm place. Try offering her some scrambled eggs or wet chicken feed mash. Never let the wound dry out. Did you say that when she drinks, the water comes out of the injury?
To be honest I would not cut at any feathers. That will only cause the bird more pain. I’m sure the injury is large enough for us to see.

To be honest I would not cut at any feathers. That will only cause the bird more pain. I’m sure the injury is large enough for us to see.
Cutting feathers will help keep the feathers and any dusty stuff (sorry i don't have a more scientific term) out of the wound, and will make for easier wound care. Clipping wings isn't painful for the bird, so I don't see why cutting feathers around a wound would be. The other option is to pluck them, which would definitely hurt.

Cutting the feathers will keep the area clear for care. Such as applying ointment, & routine cleanings. It's not painful to cut the feathers.

You have two choices. You can repair the wound to the crop so she can again eat and process her food or you can choose to euthanize. Simply spraying the wound, unless it's a very small hole, won't get it to heal before she dies of starvation.

If you post some closeups of the wound, and do trim away the feathers, we can better suggest how to close the wound using super glue.

A third option, not available to very many folks, is a vet that could close up the wound.

Back
Top Bottom