Serious Injury

Pics
I am sorry for your loss. However, first and foremost, please be sure to survey the whole area and figure out how a predator entered and attacked her and get that fixed immediately. It will happen again.

Secondly, for all readers and posters on this thread, never ever and I repeat, never discount anything that @azygous says, I don’t care how crazy you might think it sounds. Remember this, tried and true isn’t just a saying. The knowledge and wisdom that lady has in her pinky finger far surpasses what most everyone has in their entire body.

What Carol was trying to do was stabilize the hen so she could heal. The hen was drinking all the time because she was thirsting to death...literally. A hole in the crop has to be sealed, no gauze packing, no drainage tube. And yes, super glue works. Bad smell and fumes — yes, but you guard against the chicken suffering from fumes. And guess what, I have used super glue to apply a piece of tea bag to a broken beak, right under the chicken’s nares. Her beak healed and she didn’t suffer any damage from the fumes. Teeny tiny amounts were used and the fumes dissipate almost immediately, especially when they are blown away from the chicken. I digress!

If the hen could not get nutrition and water in her gut, there is no way she could begin to heal, even with a skin graft. :rolleyes: Chickens heal from horrific accidents every day and some also die from them every day!

Skin grafts on a chicken? Not necessary.

I am sorry for your loss. However, first and foremost, please be sure to survey the whole area and figure out how a predator entered and attacked her and get that fixed immediately. It will happen again.

Secondly, for all readers and posters on this thread, never ever and I repeat, never discount anything that @azygous says, I don’t care how crazy you might think it sounds. Remember this, tried and true isn’t just a saying. The knowledge and wisdom that lady has in her pinky finger far surpasses what most everyone has in their entire body.

What Carol was trying to do was stabilize the hen so she could heal. The hen was drinking all the time because she was thirsting to death...literally. A hole in the crop has to be sealed, no gauze packing, no drainage tube. And yes, super glue works. Bad smell and fumes — yes, but you guard against the chicken suffering from fumes. And guess what, I have used super glue to apply a piece of tea bag to a broken beak, right under the chicken’s nares. Her beak healed and she didn’t suffer any damage from the fumes. Teeny tiny amounts were used and the fumes dissipate almost immediately, especially when they are blown away from the chicken. I digress!

If the hen could not get nutrition and water in her gut, there is no way she could begin to heal, even with a skin graft. :rolleyes: Chickens heal from horrific accidents every day and some also die from them every day!

Thank you. My chickens free range, so unfortunately, loss is something I have to factor in. We live in the country so the predators are numerous. That’s not to say I don’t take every precaution, because we do- but it was likely a bobcat that got her and how she got away was a miracle. I didn’t discount any of the advice given, I took every possibility into account. However the injury was simply too extensive. The best way I can explain it is this- from your chin down to your shoulder, remove all skin and meat all the way around your neck - leaving only bone and tendon- that was the extent of her neck injury. There was nothing to graft or glue back together. And the crop was almost entirely ripped off- there was a possibility a crop could have been constructed, but there was no way to allow for the stretching that would have needed to happen unless it was stuffed and grafted then opened after healing enough to remove the packing. I was finally able locate a vet tech that had extensive knowledge of chickens and sent her the photos and she said there was nothing that could have been done for her. It was a devastating loss to me for sure. I’ve lost about 10 birds to either coyote or bobcat in the year I’ve allowed them to free range. I hate losing each and every one of them but the chickens absolutely love the free ranging. They have gotten more predator aware over the last year for sure though. And we are building a 50’x30’ run to let them in when I can not be home all day. We have two “scarecrows” up along the perimeter fence line and keep talk radio on all day so predators think someone is there. But inevitably one wanders outside the safe zone and doesn’t make it back.... but thanks again for the condolences and I will here all advice given!!

IMHO free ranging is the only way to go and, yes, predation is more substantial in doing so. I live in the boondocks on 20 acres in Alabama and my 44 chickens and 5 ducks free range all day, every day. I also have two very watchful dogs that I give a lot of credit to. Our yard is fenced in twice (we also have horses) so I believe that keeps the 4 legged varmints away. A chicken friendly dog is a godsend. Good luck in the future.

IMHO free ranging is the only way to go and, yes, predation is more substantial in doing so. I live in the boondocks on 20 acres in Alabama and my 44 chickens and 5 ducks free range all day, every day. I also have two very watchful dogs that I give a lot of credit to. Our yard is fenced in twice (we also have horses) so I believe that keeps the 4 legged varmints away. A chicken friendly dog is a godsend. Good luck in the future.
My flock wouldn’t be happy being kept cooped up. But, we live on 96 acres so keeping predators out is next to impossible. We do all we can for sure, but I just have to know that unless I pen them always, I’m going to lose one here and there. I don’t like it, but nature does as it was intended to do. Thanks!!

I am always in awe of @azygous . The amount of respect and gratitude that I have for her and @Wyorp Rock far exceeds what I have for most people that I know in real life. I always jump on whatever they advise because I know that they really know their stuff! They've helped me through so much and have done so with such kindness. It's inspiring and amazing that anyone can be so helpful and kind without expecting anything in return. They're pretty incredible rare gems.

Id like to add that there are other people here that have helped me too and I am incredibly grateful for them as well.

Back
Top Bottom