serious internet warning...bank accounts being phished

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by miss_jayne, May 17, 2009.

1. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    this isn't one of those "my neighbor got this email and it's true" thing.

this is an email i have received twice personally.

if you receive a notice from your bank that someone has violated your account and you need to follow a link to verify or you account will be closed, DO NOT RESPOND.

call your banking institution and they will give you an email to forward the phishing letter to.

be careful and don't get phished all. [​IMG]

2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    [​IMG]
    I have received similar emails and even messages on my cell phone that my account has been hacked. The funny thing is, is that I don't have accounts at either of the banks they were referring too. Not that I would have sent them any info either way. I have also received emails from "paypal" about my account. I forwarded them to paypals phishing site....
    Thanks for passing it on though. I can see some people being frightened that their account was accesed and putting in their info!
    Stupid phishers! [​IMG]

3. Pebbles

Pebbles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    Kingman, AZ
    Very true, these last two days I have received these e-mail messages also. I'm with Wells Fargo Bank. Great advise...do not respond to ANY e-mail no matter how legit it looks, that is asking for verification of passwords and/or account numbers or any personal info..it is NOT!!!

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Thanks for the heads up Jayne.

AL

5. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    If you get an e-mail like that, also forward it to the Federal Trade Commission:

mailto:[email protected]

Here is the website of the CAN-SPAM law:

http://www.ftc.gov/spam/

Get the feds after those creeps.

6. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Last month a lot of people received cell phone messages saying their bank account had been accessed ( they named a local bank, 1 of the 3 we have). I don't use that bank, so I hung up.

My husband had the same message. I guess several of his co-workers responded to the call and lost everything.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

The last few days I've been getting phone calls at home- just about the same thing. As soon as I say I don't believe them, I get hung up on. Go figure.

Imp/Russ

8. Debi214

Debi214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    Wow - that is bad! I am going to remember that one. How do they get your cell phone number? I remember the first time I got one sent to my email address from Bank of America I went to try to login it wouldn't let me [​IMG]. DUH - then I realized I don't even have any accounts with them!!!!! Yeah you can all say it was a blond moment if you want! [​IMG]

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Not cell phone- house phone. I think they are just cold calling. All it takes is 1 or 2 people to give up their acct #, to make it worth while. The call yesterday sounded like a nice older woman claiming she was from the phone co. wanted my acct number. ??? I don't know how she could of used it, after all the acct number is the phone number she just called.

Imp- It sure would be nice if you could reach through the phone and touch somebody. [​IMG]

10. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    it seems to be hitting everywhere and with every kind of bank.

good thing to stay on our toes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by