Serious lice infestation?? Lime sulpher dip recommended by vet.

Emily1220

Chirping
8 Years
May 24, 2011
Florida
I have 4 brown leghorns and 2 americaunas. All 6 have large bald areas above and below their vents. The skin is bright red and looks sore. I sit and watch them and they seem to peck at themselves as if itching. This has been getting worse and worse over the last 2 months. They still eat and drink well and give me an egg every day. I use shredded pine for their bedding and nests. At first I thought it was mites. I have cleaned the coop twice really really thoroughly and put sevin dust in all the cracks and the bedding. Even put it in the run area. I completely dusted the birds. But its not getting any better. I check them several times a day and at night with a flashlight and NEVER see any sign of lice or mites. But something is going on with them. Finally went to the vet and he said to put sulpher lime dip on them. But then we cant eat the eggs.....but for how long??? If lice/mites drown why not just bathe them in water?? I'm scared to put them in the lime dip. He also said to switch to shredded paper in the coop for awhile. Is there a problem using pine shavings??? I am so confused on this stuff and my girls look sore.

Did you retreat with sevin to get the hatching eggs? If not, then the problem continues. Ask me how I know.
roll.png

I have no idea if this will work; but here is something that worked well for puppys when they suffered from severe flea infestation.... insted of using harsh perscription chemicals, we used.... are you ready for this?

Head and Shoulders shampoo.

It's main ingredient is "pyrethrin" which is primarily distilled from Chrysanthemums.

On dogs, as well as of course humans, it will kill fleas instantly... and I mean instantly. No residual benefit but it will kill such parasites as fleas and many ticks on contact so mites might just be in it's crosshairs as well... what would it do to chickens?? well there are several poultry sprays (don't know cost...) which contain pyrethrin so it must be safe for chickens in some diluted form. But heck; head & shoulders is sudsy, cheap and I'd try it I think. Incidentally the generic brands which are half price or less contain the same percentage as the H&S brand.

Killing the eggs is another story. This stuff won't do it and it takes a lot of work and money to accomplish such. At least with fleas that is.

m

Last edited:
I think I will try the bath and the sevin dust again after cleaning the coop again. It's going to be a long day!!! Thank you for your help!

Quote:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491429&p=2
sevin withdrawal

Pine shavings are fine, but I'm no vet and I don't want to go against what a vet says, lol.

When my chickens had mites, I NEVER saw them on the chickens. I found them on me, and I had been inspecting the chickens daily as a habit.
Also they were shaking their heads every 5-15 seconds.

The bedding should be removed every time you do a serious treatment for mites.

I don't use the deep litter method anymore when it is above freezing. But I think you have to in freezing weather.

Quote:
LMAO!! The main ingredient is: PYRITHIONE ZINC, NOT Pyrethrin!! Pyrethrins are insecticides; pyrithione zinc is simply a chelated form of zinc, which has antifungal and antibacterial properties.

PLEASE be careful of what mis-information you spread here!

I had a bad case of chicken lice with all of mine so after trying DE, 7 dust, everything you could think of and no real relief for my chickens I went and got Front Line for puppies and kittens, 2 boxes. You put 3 drops on the back of the neck for large hens and 2 drops on the back of the neck for smaller hens. It worked great and after 4 days I checked everyone and not a lice to be found! It is suppose to keep them free for about a month to 6 weeks.

you need Poultry Protector from Care free enzymes.you can use it on the birds and the coop all the time and it's all natural it's for mites, lice, and fleas!!

Back
Top Bottom