Serious problem with 6 week cockerel

Chickflick05

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 8, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi we are having some problems with our cockerel. First of all we were only supposed to get pullets but he slipped through. He attack one of the girls last night and this morning he was very aggressive with the girls. Not letting them leave the coop and pecking and jumping at them. We are not sure what to do. Placed ads for someone to take him for free but until we can get ride of him I don't know what to do with him. At the moment we have him in a dog crate separated from everyone. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif

The thing is, kids get over losing an animal like this much faster than the parents think they will. You don't have to rub their faces in it, and you can flat out lie to them if you want. Take them away from the house, have Dad dispatch the bird, come home and say someone came and bought him. Depending on the age of the kiddos and your honesty tolerance, you can start with that or go all the way to full disclosure--your choice.

welcome-byc.gif

The thing is, kids get over losing an animal like this much faster than the parents think they will. You don't have to rub their faces in it, and you can flat out lie to them if you want. Take them away from the house, have Dad dispatch the bird, come home and say someone came and bought him. Depending on the age of the kiddos and your honesty tolerance, you can start with that or go all the way to full disclosure--your choice.

Agreed. I held onto a hen-aggressive cockerel for much too long for the sake of my son. It was special to him because he hatched from one of our eggs in his kindergarten class and all his classmates/friends would always ask about the chick. We kept him for over a year and I finally took close up photos of the mutilation he had done to some of the girls so he could see what the cockerel was putting them through. He was still sad but understood very clearly. We gave him away to someone we know. I did not tell my son that said someone intended on eating him but when I found out they actually kept the cockerel, I absolutely let him know.

@Chickflick05 , I'm sure your kids will understand and your girls will be much happier.

Last edited:
Thanks I know my kids will get over it. They are older 11,14,16. My oldest is the one that is taking it the hardest and we didn't think that he would like the chickens in the first place. If we have to cull him I think my husband might do it then I take the kids camping next week. Still hoping someone will take him but I have seen a lot of ads for roosters lately. We are going to a farm exhibition today so maybe I could talk to some there. Hope everyone has a lovely weekend and thanks very much for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom