Seriously, $8 per bag for duck food?

My 40lbs bag of duck pellets was $8.99. I got it at Family Farm and Home which is a local chain. The food is from Armada feed which is a local company. Before that I was feeding Flock Raiser. If you get online on purina's website and register your birds, they'll email you coupons every so often. I think I got $2 off per bag and you can print as many coupons as you want.

Quote:
I just got my coupon and it's 5 off of one bag, it will help.
smile.png
8.99 thats a great deal.

Why are you feeding gamebird feed to ducks???? They never need that much protein. 16-20% chick starter is fine for them as babies, then you can feed them whatever you feed your laying hens (Layena, etc.). If you are worried about chick start not having enough niacin, let them forage a lot or give them a niacin supplement.

I pay $19.80 for 100# of 20% Layer pellets, $10.50 for 50# of 16% Layer crumbles, and $12.75 for 50# of medicated 20% Chick starter.

I'm in Utah as well - the IFA by me sells Purina Layer Pellets and Flock Raiser for 16.50 for #50. The IFA brand is the same price.

Glad to know that Dallas Green is cheaper than IFA....Dallas Green is pretty much in my backyard!!! IFA is a pretty good jaunt for me, so that works perfect. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Yeah and forget about Cal Ranch. That place for some reason charges more for everything then my local IFA. You'd think a place that big would be able to get the cost down . . . nope. Layer pellets last time I was there were $19. Ouch.

Why are you feeding gamebird feed to ducks???? They never need that much protein

Shelley, I have been feeding them game bird feed through 3 generations based on much research and scientific studies of wild mallard stomach contents. This topic has been much debated. Do a search. There are some doosies
big_smile.png

I feed my ducks and quail the same thing. Since it is "only" 24% protein, I give hard boiled duck eggs to my baby quail to get the protein percentage higher. For the ducks, they also get greens, but their favorite supplements are the minnows, string algae, duckweed and worms.​

Quote:
Shelley, I have been feeding them game bird feed through 3 generations based on much research and scientific studies of wild mallard stomach contents. This topic has been much debated. Do a search. There are some doosies
big_smile.png

I feed my ducks and quail the same thing. Since it is "only" 24% protein, I give hard boiled duck eggs to my baby quail to get the protein percentage higher. For the ducks, they also get greens, but their favorite supplements are the minnows, string algae, duckweed and worms.

I have to agree,
I feed my ducks ( I have more than just mallards ) 20% protein, plus I add cracked corn to the feed for even more protein, and i have not once, in 5 years had a single problem. The feed is intended to be fed to all poultry.

Back
Top Bottom