Seriously contemplating the idea of backyard chickens in St. Pete, Fl

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tygrr, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Tygrr

Tygrr New Egg

Mar 30, 2012
    Hi all,

I live in the city; Saint Petersburg, Fl; and am seriously interested, yet hesitant, about this. I have joined this forum and the keepingchickensnewsletter.com to get as much information as I can first. Both my wife and I love most critters ( we adopt abused strays and once re-acclimated to human love, try to find homes for them; and keep the ones we can't find homes for) and have no children. To both of us though, chickens were mostly just a big bird that made eggs and could be eaten. However, I KNOW that if I get a few chickens, we will wind up making pets of them and ... well ... lets just say that they will most likely die of old age .. sigh. I DO like the idea of fresh eggs though.

Here in St. Pete, the limit is either 4 or 5 at a time (confusing and contradictory regulations) but I know a few ppl that have a dozen ( I guess no one complained, so they were never inspected). My Wife is NOT too keen on this idea .. yet .. lol. The breeds that I am considering are:

Barnevelder chickens

Buff Orpington Chickens

Wyandotte Chickens

Faverolles Chickens

Delaware chickens

the problem is .. only the Buff Oringtons and the Wyandotte are locally available as pullets ( I really don't wish to fuss w/ chicks or eggs) My research shows me that they are probably the best for me; docile, friendly, not too noisy, or too big.

Some of the problems I foresee are the heat ( most of Florida in June is like training for hell, and by August, you know that you graduated), and expense. I have soooo many questions, which I guess I will be posting in the appropriate forum areas. Hopefully, this site will convince me that this is a good idea [​IMG] ANY advice or encouragement is welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Chickens are a lot of fun.

For ideas from folks in your area, you might look up the "Where am I, Where are you?" thread for Florida. You should be able to get some ideas about the best way to deal with you birds in your climate etc.

Good luck!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

5. chick-in-florida

chick-in-florida Chillin' With My Peeps

yes yes definitely get chickens! i'm a little bit south of you - don't worry about the heat. it's great for when they are babies - they NEED the heat! we have over 100 chickens and have never had a problem. provide shade in their run of course when they get big. buff orpingtons are sooo docile though so don't put them with others that aren't. we had one that was attacked by the regular "yard chickens" so i had to separate her and she is with auracaunas now.(sp?). anyway, it's a shame your wife isn't too keen on it. why not? chickens are so entertaining and great pets i think. my husband considers them livestock that produce eggs, but not me. they are my sweeties, even the roosters. :)

6. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....glad you joined us

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

9. Tygrr

Tygrr New Egg

Mar 30, 2012
    Thank you for all the encouraging replies!! [​IMG] Thia sure does seem to be a friendly forum. In fact .. while doing my research, it seems that Chicken owners are a rather friendly bunch of people in general. So I guess that I would be joining a good group! [​IMG]Further info: I will be 62 and my Wife 57 shortly. My employer went out of business recently, so $ are kinda tight. I was raised in N.E. Ohio, Donna in N. New Jersey .. I was in the last house in the last development w/ my back yard bordering on several thousand acres of woods; so I have a lot of experience in raising various things (whatever I could catch); Donna is/was a city girl .. the only pets she ever had were 2 parakeets .. lol.

Just got back from the "Chicken Lady", she has a LOT of chickens! I learned something new that I haven't seen mentioned before that all newbies need to know. You have to have perches in the coop, they don't live and sleep in the nest boxes. Oh well, that is all probably more than anyone wanted to know and this probably isn't the place for a chicken diary. So I will just say thanks again for the encouragement. [​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by