Seriously injured rooster attacked by dog !!help!!

That's to be expected for the first while with an injury like that. We had a rooster get attacked by something wild, he was in almost as bad of shape as that (except he didn't have a broken wing), it took a while, but he is almost back to normal now

Birds go into shock when they feel they are being eating alive. I don't think he should be offered food or water because he may aspirate into lungs. Mainly you want to isolate him to a warm,dark crate or box so he can un-stress slowly.

Chickens do seem to have amazing recuperative powers. I don't think they feel pain when in shock but, will once they come out of it. They are usually very stoic about it .

The thing to watch for is infection from his wounds. Peroxide burns healthy tissues as well as wounded areas. Some folks use saline solution to wash off. The pat dry and apply
neosporin ointment(NO caine product) to wound. If wound gets infected he would need some antibiotic. The emergency thread folks would probably be able to tell you how to proceed.:hugs

if he has maggots it has been longer then last night or this am an he isnt dead yet. I agree he can be saved. he needs warmth and darkness right now. When/if he does start drinking use a baby asprin, pull his wattles down and pop it in. Once a day. no more.

Thanks hope he does recover! As of right now he is in a dark area. Still seems to be in shock. Thamks everyone for the helpful tips

As crazy as it may seem, I say give him a chance. Two years ago one of my chickens lost her leg from the hip due to an animal attack. I wasn't sure if I should have put her down or not but I tried my best to help her by giving her a small dose of an aspirin and put ointment on the wound. To my surprise the wound not only healed but she is still alive to this day. If you find in your heart that it is fair to let your rooster fight, I would encourage you to do so. Best of luck! I hope everything works out for you guys.
IMG_4731.jpg IMG_2748.JPG

As crazy as it may seem, I say give him a chance. Two years ago one of my chickens lost her leg from the hip due to an animal attack. I wasn't sure if I should have put her down or not but I tried my best to help her by giving her a small dose of an aspirin and put ointment on the wound. To my surprise the wound not only healed but she is still alive to this day. If you find in your heart that it is fair to let your rooster fight, I would encourage you to do so. Best of luck! I hope everything works out for you guys.
View attachment 1021828View attachment 1021829[/QUOTthat is amazing! Hope he can make a full recovery too! ❤

Back
Top Bottom