SERIOUSLY pecked hen!!!

Dawn2duskpets

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2018
My girl was seriously beat up by our rooster. We seperated her and she is eating and drinking. We have her in a warm, cozy large straw filled cardboard box in our temperature controlled garage where it's also quiet. I have not located a farm veterinarian yet So what should I do in the mean time??? It breaks my heart to see her like this
20181022_181835.jpg

Wow! Sorry he did quite a number on her.

Warm and quiet is good for her, to get her over the shock of it.

Try cleaning it up the best you can with some warm water. You can apply some antibiotic ointment like Neosporin, or tractor supply sells some wound ointments.

Chickens heal very well, I believe she will be fine with a little TLC. You may want to keep her separated for a while. And do something with that rooster!

Poor girl. I agree with all of the above. I don’t have rooster experience myself, but I’m pretty sure he shouldn’t be doing that to his girls. I might separate him for now, so he doesn’t go after somebody else. However, if she has an underlying illness, he may be going after her to protect the flock.

Last edited:
Such wounds can heal, but it takes time as they heal from 'the outside inwards'. I would apply an antibiotic ointment. It may be necessary to keep her by herself depending upon how the flock reacts to her. If he were mine, the rooster would soon become coq au vin or chicken and dumplings. Good luck with her.

What I did was spray a clear antiseptic spray cleaner and kept her separated. I got fed up with the brutality of my Chickens and got rid of them all. My Rooster was 2.5 years old and him and the top Hens did the same thing to a Pullet that was laying already for two months.
She will heal but never put her back in that Flock..

I had the same exact thing happen to one of my hens! The roo beat her up bad in the same spot that u could see the “ligaments” in her neck move! I got her nearly healed and then i put her back in the flock! (Worst idea ever) and the roo beat her up again only worse! And after a couple of days she died:( i suggest don’t put her back in the flock!!

I tried to flush the wound with CVS saline solution but she shook it right off. At least got some on there I applied a LOT of Neosporin with pain relief on top. It seriously is her skull I can see so I'm going to take her to the vet at 11:30...i just dont want an infection to settle in. The rooster is leaving Thursday! She will remain in her nice cozy quiet place far from him!
Dawn

That’s terrible! :hugs
Put some antibiotic on the wound but first maybe flush it with a saline solution. Keep it very very clean. Make sure she keeps eating and drinking. You can also put vitamin E on it to get it to heal well.

Back
Top Bottom