Seriously quick help with a kitten we found!!!!! UPDATE page 5

hit.gif
So sorry.

So sorry for you and the kitty. But I am angry with the vet. I don't believe an animal in such a sorry state should have been wormed. When I raised dogs they would have said to build up their strength .before worming. In itself it can be a very debilitating procedure. Doing so many tests and procedures probably stressed her to death. He should have told you how to treat her for the most obvious problems - while letting her get stronger(and more socialized) before running alot of tests (which I assume meant drawing blood).

I'm sure the vet bill was sizeable and its all the worst because it ended up killing her. What a terrible shame. Alot of.people would probably think about the bills first and decide a sickly stray kitten wasn't worth it. You are such a wonderful person to try so hard for her. You gave her the only care and love she had in her short life.

That's what gets me, I didn't ask for her to be wormed. If we could have just gotten the URI cleared up THEN we could have worried about the other stuff. Me and DH were just talking at supper about the worming is probably what did her in. It pains me to know how far she had come to be killed by something that was supposed to help her. I had gotten attached to that sweet soul and the crazy part is that I don't care for cats at ALL.

Quote:
I have found, in dealing with veterinarians up and down the Eastern seaboard (my DH was in the Navy), that they may all go into that field because they want to help animals, but some of them are more compassionate than others. Many of them just go into automatic mode... "oh yeah, it's got worms, worm it, it's got fleas, spray it, it's got a URI, medicate it" and forget that what you have is a tiny life that is on the brink of starvation and can be tipped either way by any kind of stress. But don't dwell on it. You did the best you could and gave the poor baby food and love. You gave her a chance, which she wouldn't have had if you hadn't found her. You're my hero of the week.

sad.png
Agree that the kitten should not have been wormed yet. Stabilizing her should have been first and foremost. She needed a few days to get stronger. Unknown whether she would have made it in any case, but extra stress on their systems that is not immediately crucial is ill advised. So sad.
sad.png
I'm so sorry, for her, for you.....
JJ

Back
Top Bottom