Seriously quick help with a kitten we found!!!!! UPDATE page 5

MandyH

You'll shoot your eye out!
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
Elvis' birthplace......
We went to the creek to get sand for a run and there was a tiny kitten. I'm guessing 5-7 weeks, about as wide as your big toe, weighs nothing, so weak it can't meow etc. It has HORRIBLE eyes and you can hear rattling when it breathes. I have bathed it and got all the green crusty funk out of its eyes, now what do I do? There are no vets open of course and I do not want my 4 year old to see it if it's gonna die anyway. Please tell me what to do to help this kitten.

Last edited:
Keep it warm, wash its eyes when needed with 1/4 teaspoon salt to 1 cup warm water. Feed small amount canned food or kibble soaked in warm water. Too much at a time will certainly give it diarrhea and cause more problems than it cures. Don't let it stuff itself. If you have electrolyte for your chicks, you can put that in its water.

Sounds like its too weak to eat so I would take a eye dropper and try to get a little warm milk down it, powder milk is better than regular milk. You will need to wipe its bottem with a cotton ball or dry cloth to help it use the bathroom. keep it warm .

OK, its too weak to eat soft cat food. We got KMR and its NOT interested, but its freezing so I slipped it in one of my warm fuzzy house socks, and wrapped it up in the heating pad. I'm hoping if it will live long enough to get warm that maybe it will eat. When it breathes out is when you can hear it rattling, it sounds like its nose is stopped up it doesn't sound like its lungs. What will it need to clear up the green, goopy eyes.

Pet stores can also help with this. I founs a 3-4 week old kitten once and we just kept it warm and fed it dry food softened and mashed into a watery paste through a syringe. You can get syringes at your local pharmacy. We used a heating pad under some towels and did have to wipe it's bottom to get it to poop. But it lived, and ended up with my neighbors. We were just children at the time and were able to somehow keep this baby alive, so if it has a chance, I know you can give it one. Good luck! Keep up posted.

IF you can get anyone to a 24hr Wal-mart they sell kitten formula replacer, that's the easiest thing for it to digest. cow's milk or even powdered milk is much harder than this little fellow could manage. It's pretty expensive, I had a kitten tossed out a car window on our dead end road and decided to get some and it's like $9 for a container, there's a lot in it but still. Just a few eyedroppers full at first.

Quote:
It is probably to young and weak to eat on it's own. They are use to nursing and like to suck. Someone earlier said to wash it's eyes out with warm salt water. You may have to take it to the vet on monday, but hopefully you can keep it alive until then. No emergency vets in your area?

It sounds like an upper respiratory infection. Amoxicillan will help it, if you live in a small enough or familiar enough area, maybe the pharmacist will give a bit to take home for her. He'll be able to tell you the correct dosage. Good luck! I wish you were close and I would run over and give her some of my supply.

There are some emergency vets around but to tell you the truth we can't swing emergency care for a kitten right now. My husband was laid off for months this Summer and we still don't have insurance ourselves. If I can get it to live until Monday, I have a vet friend that will take it or help me out with it. So far, it's been bathed, eyes washed, KMR in a tiny kitten bottle has been offered and refused, it's currently wrapped up cozy and is in the heating pad like a taco. I've done about all I can do but let it rest and warm, then maybe I can get some KMR in it to amount to something. Thanks for the help so far.

hugs.gif
Do the best you can, it's all any of us can do. That doesn't mean spending a fortune or bending over backwards... your keeping it warm and safe and whatever food you can in his belly is as good as it can be. If he doesn't make it then that's just the way it falls out. You're very good to try.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom