Seriously? They hatched in THAT??? Update, another PIC

GJ_Kate

Songster
12 Years
Feb 27, 2011
Grand Junction
Why is it that I have been having incubator temp issues so my hatch percentage has fallen through the floor, YET my parents (in their 80s) can hatch a birds nest in the engine compartment of their Trailblazer!!!!!!!!!!!!
barnie.gif
They drive it into town about every other day and those little suckers are alive and well!!!!!!
ep.gif
Yet I just culled a BR turkey egg going into lockdown..... that's at Day 25!!!!!!!! 25 days of love and care and worrying and checking and adjusting....
he.gif

My parents have to drive into town tomorrow for a doctors appointment! I bet the chicks will love it!

We figure there's not much we can do since if we move the nest, mama will abandon them and if we leave it be, then at least they have a chance.... I mean, those buggers have been in there for how long? Hubby thinks they're Starlings, which are horrible around here. They fly around in huge swarms.
hu.gif

81125_birds_nest_in_car.jpg

Last edited:
One of the guys I work with has goose eggs in a cardboard box with a lamp and a cup of water. They are developing and moving around in the egg. What are the chances of that????

"Nature will find a way."
th.gif

EDIT: Those goose eggs are STILL developing???
th.gif

And we all go crazy worrying about 'bator temps...
roll.png

Last edited:
My grandma hatched hundreds of chicks with a light bulb and a metal coffee can. Sure wish I'd asked her more when I had the chance.

She once gave me one egg to hatch. I put it in a cardboard box under a lamp and, as instructed, sprinkled a bit of water on it and turned it daily. Mine never hatched.

The truck engine story is amazing though. Determined parents not to be giving up on their babies with the nest traveling!

So they are still alive and well, my parents still drive the truck about every other day... took some photos tonight and those little buggers are feathered out. How much longer til they fly out of there!!!???

81125_001.jpg

Seriously, our vehicles and driveway are covered in bird poop... at least this time my folks and hubby can't blame me!!

Back
Top Bottom