Seriously thinking about setting some eggs in NEW YORK

WillowWoodsFarm

Songster
13 Years
Nov 17, 2010
New York
I can not believe the weather we have been having! It is so beautiful outside today and not just today...most of the "winter" !!!!!! Sure, we had a couple of cold days but I can count them on one hand! I am just afraid that if I set eggs, it will suddenly become "winter" and I will be sorry that I ever did. Although, its going to take 20 days for them to hatch and we always keep them inside for about a month anyways.....IDK, what do you think?

Of course it matters...thats why I asked
wink.png
I very badly want to turn it! I need to go to I.A. Incubator annonymous <~ If thast how you spell it, lol. I am itchy to put it some eggs and I dont think I can wait

Quote:
I completely agree. I have one broody out with three week old chicks and another getting ready to hatch in nine days. Outside of the coopers hawk, I am not worried. I also have eggs in the incubator for the new years day hatch. After seeing my white leghorn swimming through the powder snow we had last winter. I am so not worried about raising chicks in the winter. Do what is best for you. A

THATS IT.....IM DOING IT!!!!! lol. I was just worried that if I did it that it would end up being too cold and I would kill those precious little chicks. Thanks guys!

Hey New York people, I am holding an egg swap! If you're interested, I have a link to the egg swap thread below. Thanks again!

Not to rain on your enthusiasm, but rather just be planning ahead about where you will brood those little cuties for the winter. I don't consider it winter until January--November and December are just the prep months for the coldest days to come.

Happy hatching!!! My last batch is just finishing and the LG is unplugged. HOmemade is still cooking the last of the stragglers.

Great idea to do the swap! Gp fpr it.

I agree with the previous poster, winter is just not here yet. That being said I just ordered a big bunch of eggs that will be shipped shortly and chicks will be here before long
tongue.png
. In 4-h they encourage the kids to have their chicks on Jan 1 which is a bit of a crazy notion! I am crazy with you!

I always brood them in my house until they are fully feathered and then once I feel comfortable with them staying outside, they move into the coop. My coop is completely insulated and also has electric in case it needs a heat lamp to be put up. Yes, I know January is a bitter cold month but I wonder if old man winter is on vacation, lol. But the way I was looking at it was....the eggs are in the bator for 3 weeks, which would make it already into January and then they stay month or so in the house which would be Febuary. I dont plan on setting the eggs for probably another week or so....unless my hubby brings some home from the farm he work at. They have such beautiful chickens over there.
I thank everyone very much for your opinions!

I am also in NY and have a bunch supposed to start hatching on the 17th( incubator cam - http://www.livestream.com/danthechicken ) ..... so you know my answer - and it sounds like you have provisions for them when they need to leave the house. .... and yes the weather has been great so far- look out for Jan and Feb

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom