Service Animals Redefined...

PineappleMama

Songster
10 Years
Nov 23, 2009
Deep In The Left Atrium Of TX
Just found this article in my local paper online... Justice Department tightens definition of service animal

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/03/20/2936386/justice-department-tightens-definition.html#tvg

The Justice Department has issued a rule stating that only dogs, TRAINED dogs, can be used as service animals when it comes to going to restaurants, shops, etc.

Don't think it has any bearing at all on your own land or anything, only when other folks are effected. Evidently some folks were taking ferrets, giant cats, monkeys and whatnot into places and it was causing problems. The monkey for instance was taken to a horse thing... horses hate monkeys and view them as predators thus it would freak them out... and a freaked out horse is NOT a good thing. So these new rules were put into place. I can totally understand that. I wouldn't want to deal with two thousand pounds of panic just because someone "had to have" a monkey at the stock show.

But what I thought might cause some issues is that they also specified "Dogs that provide emotional support or comfort are not considered service animals under the new rules." An agoraphobic for instance that only feels safe with Rufus around will no longer be able to take him with when venturing out in public. Don't know for sure how I feel about that to be honest, I don't know anyone with that problem and haven't studied it in any way so best not to try and guess my way to an opinion... in any case, my main concern is that there are TONS of folks who have animals (chickens were mention here on BYC before) that are a part of their lives because they help with mental, not physical, issues. Depression, anxiety and whatnot are tough things to deal with and some folks do better adding an animal friend to their lives than they do with just medicating it into submission. Now that the JD has stated that even trained service dogs are not considered service animals in these circumstances is it possible that other government agencies will act the same?

Time will tell of course but I just thought it was an interesting little nugget.

I am really glad to see you posting! You have been missed.
hugs.gif

Aw, aren't you sweet. Been on FB, and had my nose buried in books, and school stuff, and family family family... including a quick trip to OK.

But came across this article and my first thought was "Now who was it over on BYC that mentioned someone arguing that their chickens were good for their mental health and that it might be enough to get a pass on the ordinance that banned them in their area?" so I just had to pop over and share.

The new definition is definitely going to hurt alot of people. Because all of us here at work feel that way, we have NOT changed our rules to match the ADA. We will continue to allow our passengers their service animals whether or not it is a rat, dog, bird, etc.

Hmmm. The VA gives veterans with PTSD service dogs who help them deal with the symptoms, but unless I missed something, they would no longer be considered a service dog. Odd that one department of the governement would disallow something that another department of the government implemented...or maybe not...

What they did was leave the regulations so erroneous that no one knows what category their service animal falls into. They changed the rules without thinking it through or doing any research. Which is the reason, we decided not to change our rules. At least our bus riders can still continue getting around with their service animals whatever they may be.

Last edited:
Right or wrong, this is because of a lot of people abusing the system. It's ridiculous what people try to pass off as a service animal. A LOT of people use it as an excuse to have a pet where they are not allowed (both in public and in rentals). it's sad to sweep up the good ones in the change.....

Quote:
Around here, referring to our passengers, we have one woman with a rat. The rodent can tell ahead of time if she is about to have a seizure. And one lady has a parrot, for her panic attacks. In both instances, the use of the animal has been proven. I know that service animals that are not dogs are rare, but the field should remain open IMHO.

I ran across a lady in a restaurant that had a poodle for a service dog. That was a first!!!

Back
Top Bottom