Service birds?

yes, that would be a therapy animal. There is no limit on what kind of animal that you can use for therapy work. There aren't any special tasks or privileges that go with that, other than being friendly and well-behaved. Well, and loving attention of course! :)

Fidelco only uses FIDELCO GSDs, which is pretty much a "breed within a breed" (their words).
I do know that any service dog displaying aggressive or protective postures can be asked to leave a public place immediately and to never be brought back. A true "protective" dog would be a giant liability, esp for a blind person since you would be relying 100% on the dog to make the judgement call.
Now, visually a GSD is automatically going to be a great deterrent.
I know some people who raise and breed for Fidelco, so now I am curious. I know that the website says that the dogs are responsible for their owners safety at all times.

I also know that Fidelco is breeding for a "softer" temperament than they have in the past. Again, because of liability issues. Not just for the public, but for the safety of the handler. What if there was a medical emergency and the dog "protected" you from the paramedics? It's actually a real problem, with any breed of dog.

Wow, well I thought it was strange, but ya it said 'service bird' might have been something else but
hu.gif
and it was a parrot, like cockatoo, not duck LOL
lau.gif
i must agree, a duck would never learn

So quick to rule a duck out.... lol. My duck knew how to fetch. Also knew his name and came when called. If you had a treat and said jump he would jump and then expect his treat. My fetching duck was a muscovy. Everything else was a Indian runner.

I would not rule out any bird, including ducks, as service animals.

I have an African Grey Parrot who is a service animal as an Emotional Support Animal.
After all my birds were killed a year ago Thanksgiving, I was a basket case. Began to see a therapist who suggested I get another parrot and she would write a letter that I gave to an agency here and he is now certified as a service animal. He flys on airplanes with me, under the seat in front of me and goes into stores with me and keeps me calm just by having him with me. This is not a state certification or he could not fly from state to state with me. Airlines are aware of this category.

One of my chickens will Step Up on command and sit on my arm like a parrot. That's Patty! She is one of the Andrews Sisters. Happy to have found this list. Bobbie

again, though, Emotional Support Animals are not recognized by the ADA. Even if the animal has additional trained tasks to meet the "service animal" requirement, per the Dept. of Justice, only DOGS can be service animals.

Some states, such as CA, have more lenient definitions and will allow almost any species to be a service animal. If you leave CA, though, you loose all rights to take any non-dog service animal in public.

ETA:
Federal Register
Published September 15, 2010
Effective Date March 15, 2011

Signed by Attorney General Eric Holder
July 23, 2010

Final regulations

Revised definition of “service animal.”

“Service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not service animals for the purposes of this definition. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the handler´s disability. Examples of work or tasks include, but are not limited to, assisting individuals who are blind or have low vision with navigation and other tasks, alerting individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing to the presence of people or sounds, providing non-violent protection or rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, assisting an individual during a seizure, alerting individuals to the presence of allergens, retrieving items such as medicine or the telephone, providing physical support and assistance with balance and stability to individuals with mobility disabilities, and helping persons with psychiatric and neurological disabilities by preventing or interrupting impulsive or destructive behaviors. The crime deterrent effects of an animal´s presence and the provision of emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship do not constitute work or tasks for the purposes of this definition.”

------------------

also, unless you have been declared LEGALLY disabled, there is no "service animal" under the law. There is a difference between "medically disabled" and "legally disabled" as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom