Serving dishes that can't knock over?

parrotcup.jpg

Parrot cups, they're like $2 at the pet store. They hang easily on hardware cloth or welded wire. I use them to feed and water broodies in a breaker as well.

What do you give your chickens the grit and oyster shells in? It seems like whatever I put out, they inevitably knock over after a couple hours. I'd rather not go out and buy something fancy or give them glassware but I don't see many other options.

I use a 1 gallon bucket. Put a large rock in the bottom and fill the rest up with oyster shell (you could do a grit bucket, too - our chickens free range and we have a gravel driveway, so don't need to supply grit). I set the bucket on a broken half-cinder block. They've never knocked it over. I do have it wedged up against a beam and the hardware cloth, too.

Sorry the pic is so fuzzy - took it in the dark the other night before closing up the run! I also put the watermelon on top of a 2 gallon bucket I had laying around so they don't kick wood shavings into it. The other half I set on a stump on the other side of the run, kind of wedging it against the hardware cloth. Worked great - they haven't knocked it down so far!

1656807908121.png

1656807955093.png

Back
Top Bottom