Set 3/9/12 HATCH ALONG!

2 of mine just had a vein or two in them when I first candled, I waited a few days and candled again and there was the little spider. Hope that you have some viable eggs in there.

Thanks for the encouragement - I'm already collecting to start over again, just in case.
smile.png
I'm going to wait unti Friday or Saturday night to candle them all. Most of them are EE eggs, and I always have a hard time seeing them, but I have a plan this time. DH got a very bright MagLite flashlight for Christmas, so I'm going to cut a hole in the bottom of an empty oatmeal container, put it over the flashlight, and use that for a candler. It will definitely be brighter than the little one that came with the incubator.

Thanks for the encouragement - I'm already collecting to start over again, just in case.
smile.png
I'm going to wait unti Friday or Saturday night to candle them all. Most of them are EE eggs, and I always have a hard time seeing them, but I have a plan this time. DH got a very bright MagLite flashlight for Christmas, so I'm going to cut a hole in the bottom of an empty oatmeal container, put it over the flashlight, and use that for a candler. It will definitely be brighter than the little one that came with the incubator.

sounds like a good plan. I put a box with a cut out hole over a desk lamp that has a very bright light..that's the only way i could see through the orp eggs

So it's day 5: How's it going? I am finding it very hard not to candle, i was orginally going to candle on day 10, but I'm not sure i can wait the long....it will mostly happen on day 7. I've struggled keeping my humidity and temps right so I'm very curious to see how the eggs are developing!

I love your ideas for your candlers, I was thinking about making my own too! I saw one where they used a coffee can and cut a small whole in the bottom...I think I might try it!

Candling seems more art than science, yes? I have one of Brinsea's ovascopes where you place the egg into a covered viewing slot with a fairly bright light and rotate the egg till you see something. I used it on eggs from under broodys before and really couldn't tell if I was looking at a blood ring or a spider vein embryo or a yolk or a baby chick - just kinda blurry and shadowy. Am I the only one having trouble, maybe I am special LOL Anyway I will probably try to candle one or two eggs this Friday, day 7, since I will also be weighing them at that time to determine how my humidity is doing. I'll be interested to hear who all candles and what you see!

Last time I used a hovabator 1588 I love it. They were all shipped eggs I had 30 eggs and I had 18 hatch for shipped eggs I though that was pretty good. My first hatch I have 12 and only one hatched but those were eggs shipped from my pet chicken. This time I have a Brinsea Mini advanced with 7 eggs in it going on 5 days, 5 eggs under my broody silkie, I have another 21 eggs in the hovabator and another 21 comming. I ordered another hovabator for a hatcher. I tried to plan it so that the Brinsea eggs will have all hatched or quit by the time the eggs in the hovabator are ready to go in lockdown and was going to put them in the brinsea to hatch but I got so many extras that they will not fit so my new plan is to add the new eggs to my currectly incubating eggs. They take the 21 that will go in lockdown about a week before the rest in the hatcher and keep the others in the old hovabator thru hatch. So Now I'll be hatching in three seperate incubators. Not to mention the broody. Did I forget to mention that in decemeber I ordered 9 chicke from my pet chicken to arrive April 9th? Time for another coop to put them all in. If I get alot that hatch I think I will post on craigslist I can't possibly keep all these chickens but it's so addicting I just can't stop!

Oh and The Brinsea was my first incubator I bought it because it did everything for you. then I had to order the hovabator becuase I got so many eggs last time and the brinsea only holds 7 eggs with the turner so I never even used it. So this is my first attempt with this incubator. Wish me luck!

Back
Top Bottom