Set 3/9/12 HATCH ALONG!

I candled my 7 in the brinsea mini advance. I only see one with veins and movement. Im not surprised they r eggs from mpc and the last time I only had one as well. I do have 5with my broody and wasn't going to candle hers but now I'm thinking maybe I should and if none of hers shows signs of life I could give her the one I have. I'll keep the others cause they r all dark eggs and maybe something will still happen. I also have 21 that I set the 14th from different breeders so maybe I'll have better luck with them.

I candled my 7 in the brinsea mini advance. I only see one with veins and movement. Im not surprised they r eggs from mpc and the last time I only had one as well. I do have 5with my broody and wasn't going to candle hers but now I'm thinking maybe I should and if none of hers shows signs of life I could give her the one I have. I'll keep the others cause they r all dark eggs and maybe something will still happen. I also have 21 that I set the 14th from different breeders so maybe I'll have better luck with them.

I'm sorry to hear you have only one, I am incubating eggs from MPC also and I think they told me to expect around 50%. What breed are you hatching?

I'm sorry to hear you have only one, I am incubating eggs from MPC also and I think they told me to expect around 50%. What breed are you hatching?
I bought 6 barnvelder and 6 blue copper marans. I gave my broody 5 of the eggs. Last time I ordered from them I only hatched 1 from about 16 eggs too. I got eggs from eBay and had a bunch hatch. Im beginning to think mpc isn't good for eggs. I hope u do better. Let me know how it works out for u.

UPDATE: Day 8 and I candled! I started with 34 and I have 14 fertile positive eggs, 17 that are either too dark to see, or that I'm unsure about. 3 eggs so far that were not fertile. I just used a flashlight and I will be making a better home made candler this coming week.

Just got done candling: out of 41 eggs, I had 3 clears, 16 questionable - either too dark or I just wasn't sure, and the rest were obviously developing. Going to resist the tempation and not candle again till Day 14. Then the iffy ones will be obvious. It's been a couple of years since I've incubated eggs - I didn't see a real defined air sac in any of them. My humidity has been running right around 50%. I'm just wondering if it was hard to see because all of my eggs are either EE's or brown (I have 1 BO, 1 Production Red and 1 SLW) and fairly dark shelled. I did see a couple, but not alot... I was looking more for veining and the dark spot.

Hi Everyone
smile.png

Do you mind if I join? I put 5 EE eggs in a still air Hova Bator @ midnight March 9...or would that technically be March 10th? - LOL
It would be great to have some hatch buddies on the same day.
I didn't plan to incubate anything until the Easter Hatch, but my "broody" hen wasn't truly broody.
hmm.png
She only stayed on the eggs about 6 hours. The eggs were $1 each from a local person, but I didn't want to waste the money and just toss them.
I candled on Day4 and saw nice red "spiders" in all 5.
celebrate.gif
I'll attach a picture since many of you were talking about candling a few days ago. I have light going into both ends of the egg to help me really see what is going on inside. On Friday afternoon (day 7) I candled again and marked all of the aircells. They are supposed to be about the size of a quarter, from what I've read and they looked pretty good. :) My humidity is staying right around 40%.

Day 4 development photo of an Easter Egger:

Hi Everyone
smile.png

Do you mind if I join? I put 5 EE eggs in a still air Hova Bator @ midnight March 9...or would that technically be March 10th? - LOL
It would be great to have some hatch buddies on the same day.
I didn't plan to incubate anything until the Easter Hatch, but my "broody" hen wasn't truly broody.
hmm.png
She only stayed on the eggs about 6 hours. The eggs were $1 each from a local person, but I didn't want to waste the money and just toss them.
I candled on Day4 and saw nice red "spiders" in all 5.
celebrate.gif
I'll attach a picture since many of you were talking about candling a few days ago. I have light going into both ends of the egg to help me really see what is going on inside. On Friday afternoon (day 7) I candled again and marked all of the aircells. They are supposed to be about the size of a quarter, from what I've read and they looked pretty good. :) My humidity is staying right around 40%.

Day 4 development photo of an Easter Egger:

Great picture! Light on both ends... why didn't I think of that??

So, I couldn't stand it - went back and recandled my 16 eggs that were questionable. Used light on both ends. What a difference!! I found at least 5 that were definitely viable! So, that raises my for sure eggs to 27. Out of 41, I think that's not all bad... There was one more that was definitely bad, and the rest I'm still not sure. I will for sure do the double-light method next week when I candle them again.

couldn't stand it, had to candle...3 of the d'uccles are def. developing, don't think the barred rock is though..my roo is prolly too small to get on her and reach the right spot..LOL

Isn't it the cooloest thing to see those little "blobs" and veins developing? I don't know how some people resist not candling until lockdown....the suspense would drive me insane.

This is only the 3rd time I've incubated so maybe the excitement wears off over the years. (But I don't think it will) The first time I candled, with my very first batch of eggs, I was so nervous because I thought I would drop the egg or crush it. And when I saw the "RED SPIDER" I almost DID drop it, I was so surprised!
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom