Set a batch of eggs! Including my first eggs from my very own hens :D

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Guitartists, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm so excited! I set a batch of eggs yesterday.... among them some BBS Orps from corancher (Thank you again!), Denizli eggs from ntiveheart (Thank you again!) and my first ever eggs from my own hens! [​IMG] [​IMG] Some EE eggs... mostly I have seen the Ameraucana roos mating her.. so I'm hoping for some nice EEs to add to my EE pen [​IMG] some eggs from my Araucana hen... I've seen her mated by both the Araucana and the Ameraucana roos... so again hoping for some lovely EEs and some eggs from my Bantam Cochin, my RIR (Those should be interesting as I think I've seen just about every roo mate her!) and my Mutt brown egg layer [​IMG] Can't wait to see the hodge-podge that I get... LOL

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  2. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Sending good hatching vibes to you.
    had my first hatch of my own eggs 8 out of 9
    cochins.. and it is exciting..
    Go-chicky Go Go Go

3. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Thanks for the hatching vibes... I'm definitely gonna need them now.... had a temp spike [​IMG] Hopefully I caught it in time and hopefully it only happened the one time and hopefully they survive [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Hang in there... they may yet hatch. What temp did they get up to?

5. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    104 [​IMG] but the fan died last hatch so it is still air now... hoping that works in their favor. I got out there today and the darn thing was shutting off at 97! [​IMG] [​IMG] I caught it early today... and REadjusted it AGAIN... going to check it again in a few to make sure now that it is running well. I knew I shouldn;t have touched the thermostat... I knew better, I knew the temp spike had to be a fluke and still I messed with my settings. I'm a fool..... I hope these eggs make it.

6. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, I candled and this is what I have left after loose air cells that did not develop and some infertile or old eggs (ones that I had sitting in my cupboard from my girls)

Denizli - 1 left that is trying to form even with a loose air cell [​IMG]

Orp - 4 (maybe 5)

EE - 7

Ameraucana mix - 2

Araucana mix - 10 These are doing SO well, I can only assume that my Araucana roo is NOT the father of any of them LOL

B. Cochin mix - 3

Mutt - 5

RIR mix - 7

7. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, nothing yet...... but I have had to throw out all but about a dozen eggs because my DS turned off the bator and they got cold and most died [​IMG] So I am not holding my breath for the survivors (All eggs from my own birds... mostly mutt... I lost al my Orps and Denizli [​IMG] ) but I am hoping [​IMG] So we shall see.

9. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG] Oh, that sucks. I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

10. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I hope some make it.... Prayers from TN. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by