Set a coon trap cought a cat.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rebelcowboysnb, Nov 29, 2009.

1. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Lost a duck to what I think was a coon thanksgiving morning. Got my traps set last night. Checked them about 1 AM. The smaller trap had been flipped over an all the bait was gone. The big trap as half way across the field? Where I had it set there was bait still on the ground? I think it closed when the coon was not in all the way an he dragged it across the field till he got out. I reset both an went to bed. This morning I had to let my cat out of the big one.

2. crazy cat lady

crazy cat lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    NW Illinois
    Your cat sounds like some of my cats. I only had one that got trapped twice. Those that got trapped stay away from the trap now. Hopefully your kitty won't go near the trap anymore.

I'm thinking the one large possum we had around our barn was the one that kept getting out of the trapbecause he was so huge and long. So far we have trapped 5 possum and 7 raccoons. All of them failing their swimming lesson.

Hope you get your coon soon.

Eva

3. rebelcowboysnb

This cat was a drop off last week. Seems like a good cat an it puts up with my pugs so hes a keeper. Just waiting to see if hes a mouser.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Coons are smart. If they have encountered a trap before, they probably know not to go in it. Bait with marshmellows to keep cats out and block up the sides so they can't just reach in and take the bait. Good luck trapping.

5. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Know of a case where a coon tore apart one of the catch and release (have-a-heart) traps. He was a whopper and I think the guy is about to give up on it from what he said. He has tried before with no success. Use marshmallows and board up the sides as silkiechicken said. Don't try to relocate because they have a great homing instinct and you would only be exporting your problem to another.

6. rebelcowboysnb

Cat got payback....... Came in an peed on my couch... [​IMG]

7. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This is the ONLY post in this forum that has made me laugh out loud. Thanks for cheering me up after my own chicken tragedy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by