Set eggs 8-10-12

G9inwonderland

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 19, 2012
Upstate, NY
I set 14 eggs in the incubator on the 10th of this month. I'm very excited.

I'm going to candle tonight to see if there is any development.

The hens are RIR, the Rooster is Americana. So it will be interesting! I love hatching!

Come join the thread if you are incubating eggs too, whether via broody or incubator.

=]

I need a better candling device. My makeshift toilet paper tube duck-taped to a flashlight is starting to not work as well as last hatching. Maybe just needs new batteries and tape.

It's looking hopeful. I didn't really see any clear, so something is going right. Looks like developement.
One egg looked like it may not make it, thumbnail sized darkspot and relatively clear everything else.

I need more patience, I want little fluffy chickies now!

=]

I found one that wasn't developing last night.

I couldn't even 'candle' with the flashlight and paper roll....and feared I would do more damage than good my last hatch..... I ended up with 6/7

I sprung for the Brinsea Ova- thingie, and so I saw inside the eggs last night.

Let's see I set on the 13th--so mine should (hopefully) hatch on the 2nd You set on the 10th so your hatch day is Aug 31.

If you could keep frantically busy the time would go faster. :O)

My eggs were smallish to set IMO---but then small birds successfully hatch out babies right? quail, robins, bluejays...etc. So I have trepidation about any success....

Think chickies!! Good luck with your eggs.

Last edited:
I am kept very busy with my 2.5 year old lil boy. =]
Every time I pass the incubator I can't help but wish them to hatch sooner though.

I have the due date for the end of the month, it might be a little later though.
I had the temp more towards 99.5- 100, and it looks like I should have had it more towards 102 according to two of my raising chicken books.
I use a still air incubator.

I will be getting a better candler when we have money I can spend on random items. lol
For now I will try another makeshift, I need a better flashlight. I don't think mine is strong enough for brown eggs.

What kind of eggs are you hatching?

I got a pair of Cream Legbars from Samantha Kellerman at Highview farms in the Texas Hill Country. They are a kind of rare breed new to the USA, and are autosexing, lay blue or green eggs and are pretty birds IMO. They are just turning 8-months old September 9th These are the 6 eggs in now. But they were developed under duress, since our temperatures have hovered around 105. That is why they are closer to 1.5 ounces than to 2.0 ounces. -- so blue/green eggs - also difficult to see inside.

My other hatch was Easter Eggers--- and green eggs--- also hard to see inside.

My incubator is the little Brinsea mini (I am small time, but plan to aim for high quality--) :O)

I'm eager too... I guess that is human nature, but I am tempering mine with -- maybe/maybe not -- at least for awhile.

Which brown eggs are you hatching? ETA whoops you already said RIR and Americana.....right?

Last edited:
Your birds sound lovely! Pictures?

I candled my eggs last night. I saw shadow movement in 12. 1 was still pretty see through and ended up being just a yoke. And the last looks like it died way early on.

So here is to hoping the 12 chickies make it. One more week. =]

Good Luck!!

I discarded the one that I had that was clear. candled and weighed...I'm about the half way point and they are loosing weight at the proper rate. Saw loads of veins.

tick tock tick tock.

Tons of pictures are in my blog---you can find a link in my signature. (just scroll down the page and see all the picts! It is over a year's worth of writing so it would take some commitment to read...;O)...and if you click my name.....there are a couple of picture albums.

Back
Top Bottom