Set eggs on 3/18 who's with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! I was really behind. Reading all of your posts makes me wish I had something pipping and zipping too.
To the new egg whose temps dropped...if it wasn't for very long it probably didn't hurt them. It might delay the hatching so be very patient. Give it a few extra days if you don't see something.
Little Hawk, I didn't see anyone answered your question about lockdown. If they did and I missed it, I'm sorry. I was reading so quickly trying to figure out where everyone else was! Lockdown is when you stop turning the eggs on day 18, up the humidity and do not open the bator again until after the hatch is finished. Hope I'm not being redudant!
For the little yellow and black chicks...way too cute. Congragulations!
DONN......I can't remember the numbers.....
woot.gif
Way to go on the cochin egg. I've never seen a cochin newborn yet so please do not forget the pictures.....I have some in the incubator though!!!!!
Smchickfarm.....updates the second they come in. I am going to be running for my computer in the morning to see what my friends have hatched overnight. I don't think I will be able to make it all the way to KY and back tomorrow without knowing what is going on. I may have to take my laptop and stop off at McDs for a coffee and catch up on how everyone is doing!
And I did it the easy way today......we bought six Pekin ducklings!!!! They are incredibly adorable. I'm so glad we bought them. (They are for my daughter, but I harbored a secret desire to have some myself!!!!!!) Five of them are two weeks and one is two days. The man said you could sex them by how loud they squeak when you pick them up so according to his method we have four girls and two boys! (I kind of wondered if I just had sucker written across my forehead, LOL)

cbreez - congrats on your pips .... and hoping for a bunch more
luvmydux - glad you joined and congrats on bantams....thats what i have and i love those little teeny babies
smchick - YAY for a pip finally...I can't wait to see those lavs
If I missed anyone ... congrats on your progress !!!!
I have 2 more pips this morning....and all are my cochins. #1 has a much bigger piece chipped out at the original pip but all shell still intact so can't see the beak yet. Hope all goes well today. I am leaving for work and won't be home til 7 pm. Best of luck to everyone today !!!! Come on chickies !!!!
jumpy.gif

Now I know what all you people here get so excited about, now that I am nearly done hatching. Out of 18 fertiles... 5 were not.. one was a blood ring.... out of 24 eggs........... I have 16 new chicks as of this morning.
Twice yesterday, I took the bator into the hot steamy bathroom, and took out the chicks. I can't believe how they body slam the ones waiting to hatch, lol. 9 were in the brooder, and theres 7 in the bator, with 2 eggs left, one I know has a pip, the other could be upside down, the way those others are playing kickball with it. I even had an egg all day yesterday, with a pip... and a blood dribble leaked from the side. I didn't have much hope for it, as it quit moving (as far as I could see) hours later. Last night at 2:30am it had zipped, and I could see it would be a black chick. Its here this morning!

These are all mutt chicks from my red shaver laying hens... and 2 very colourful roosters my broody hatched from a friends eggs. She sells eggs, so they must be an egg layer cross. I sure hope most are pullets. Can anyone tell me what the ratio of each sex is... out of a batch? Every single year, after calving.. the heifers and bulls seem to even out.. so I am thinking its probably the same with chicks, lol. I will post a picture later, when they are all dry and in the brooder together!
Hang in there everyone else. I feel your pain, I tell you, lol. Waiting 3 days from seeing a pip to an incubators full hatch is a killer!

Last edited:
Now I know what all you people here get so excited about, now that I am nearly done hatching. Out of 18 fertiles... 5 were not.. one was a blood ring.... out of 24 eggs........... I have 16 new chicks as of this morning.
Twice yesterday, I took the bator into the hot steamy bathroom, and took out the chicks. I can't believe how they body slam the ones waiting to hatch, lol. 9 were in the brooder, and theres 7 in the bator, with 2 eggs left, one I know has a pip, the other could be upside down, the way those others are playing kickball with it. I even had an egg all day yesterday, with a pip... and a blood dribble leaked from the side. I didn't have much hope for it, as it quit moving (as far as I could see) hours later. Last night at 2:30am it had zipped, and I could see it would be a black chick. Its here this morning!

These are all mutt chicks from my red shaver laying hens... and 2 very colourful roosters my broody hatched from a friends eggs. She sells eggs, so they must be an egg layer cross. I sure hope most are pullets. Can anyone tell me what the ratio of each sex is... out of a batch? Every single year, after calving.. the heifers and bulls seem to even out.. so I am thinking its probably the same with chicks, lol. I will post a picture later, when they are all dry and in the brooder together!
Hang in there everyone else. I feel your pain, I tell you, lol. Waiting 3 days from seeing a pip to an incubators full hatch is a killer!

Congrats on all the babies!!!
thumbsup.gif
That is so great!!!! YES, it is addicting and nerve wracking!!!!!!!!!!! And you know you are ready to hatch some more!
lau.gif

I have 1 pip this morning, no progress yet..............doesn't matter how many times you do this, the waiting is painful!!!!! I want to see progress but I know that it will come in time.........but I am impatient!
th.gif

Oh ya... I am waiting for these to hurry up, I want my turkey eggs in there, TODAY!!!! Also.... I didn't get alot done yesterday, AT ALL. I have 25 new 10 foot maple trees we planted a few days ago to water, so I guess they are on my agenda today!! lol.

Back
Top Bottom