Set eggs week of Sept. 12th. Hatch due week of Oct. 3rd. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CarolJ, Sep 14, 2011.

1. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    My kids gave me a Hovabator Genesis 1588 for my birthday last month - they gave me an automatic turner, too. So I set 19 eggs on Monday, September 12th - and then today I added another 7 to the bator. The eggs are a combination of hatchery eggs and eggs from private breeders and friends. This is the first time I've ever tried hatching eggs, and I'm excited to see how it goes.

7 Welsummer (from private breeder)
    4 EEs (from private breeder)
    2 RIR (from Meyer)
    2 gold laced wyadotte (from Meyer)
    2 barred rock (from Meyer)
    3 light brown leghorn (from Meyer)
    1 blue/black barred rock (from private breeder/friend)
    5 RIR over NH (from private breeder/friend)

I figure October 3rd (Monday) will be day 21 for the first 19 - and then October 5th will be day 21 for the other seven. Between now and then I'll be feverishly working to get a larger coop built!

Anyone else set eggs this week?

2. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Hi there, i set 12 on sunday 11th sept so due on 2 oct. I have a mix of frizzle, pekin and silkies so can't wait to see what i get from that mix.
    Good luck with your's [​IMG]

3. SEMCNABB

SEMCNABB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    South Mississippi
    I set some on the 11th too. Americana, Mottled Houdan, and White Crested Blue Polish. I so can not wait to see what I get!!!!!

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I just recently received my Hovabator Genesis 1588 w/turner, too!

Today I set 29 eggs.

Some D'uccles, Silkies, Seramas, and EE's.

[​IMG]

5. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Hi [​IMG] ,
    I was fortunate enough to win the awesome auction for Lavendar Orpington eggs and Black Copper Marans and when I opened the box there were 15 of the orps and 9 of the marans [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] perfectly packaged. I am letting them set today and will start them tomorrow. The hatch date would be the 6th of Oct.

6. CarolJ

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Yea! [​IMG] We've got a bunch of people setting eggs this week. Lots of cute little chicks will be arriving early in October! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  7. gotta luv animals

gotta luv animals Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    I set 30 n they should hatch on the 3rd. Mine is a mixture, lil bit of everything. Goodluck to us all.

8. t42366

t42366 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Philpot, KY
    I set 41 eggs on the 12th too! My first hatch since I was a little girl. So excited!![​IMG]

9. CarolJ

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Quick update:

Just a week away from lockdown. Looks like out of the 26, I have at least 15 that may hatch. All the eggs I got from Meyer show movement - so I'm very pleased with them! The others that I got from 3 different breeders are a mixed bag - three blood rings, a couple are clear and some show movement. If hatching goes okay, I should end up with a great variety of chicks. Keeping fingers crossed for lots of pullets! :)

10. CarolJ

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    So today (late this afternoon) should be lockdown. [​IMG] But I'm waiting till tomorrow since I have a staggered hatch. The 7 welsummer eggs were added two days after the others - so I'm splitting the difference in starting lockdown.

When I candle them, there isn't much to see in most of them - the shell is pretty much full - and the air sac is clearly visible. What I see when I candle most of them is what I'm supposed to see according to all the candling photos and videos I've seen. I hope, hope, hope that they hatch out okay. I have several that I'm almost certain are duds. However, I'm keeping them in there. There's no smell or other indication that they could explode. So I want to give them every chance possible since I'm such a newbie at this. [​IMG]

It is amazing how much I've learned about incubation the past three weeks! And after candling so much, I feel like I have a much better understanding now of what to look for, but I still have so much more to learn. [​IMG]

I figure they should hatch out between October 3rd and 5th. Cant wait! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by