Set my first batch of eggs in homemade incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tmfineg, Jan 14, 2012.

1. tmfineg

tmfineg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    Well, I have the fever! We got chickens in the spring of last year and there is no telling where this chicken adventure will take us!!

Yesterday I set 7 eggs, 2 Buff Ops, 4 Buff Brahamas I ordered in the mail. I threw in one mix of Austra White and Partridge Cochin for the fun of it.

I am using a homemade bater out of a styrofoam ice chest. The set up is good, I am just having trouble regulating the temp. I am shooting for 97-101. A 15 watt bulb was not hot enough, but the 25 was too hot. We have the 25 watt bulb rigged up to a dimmer switch. I check it about every thrity minutes. It seems to be fluctuating with the room temp in our house a little more than I like because our heat is set lower at night than during the day.

Today I wrapped a blanket around the bater hoping it would stablize. The temp spiked to 105 for just a few minutes,. I hope I did not fry the critters. Wish me luck!

2. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Well, the dimmer switch has never been "MY" first option for a temperature controller, but you also need to try different wattages of bulbs. I use the Water heater thermostat, and my incubator is very nice. I am not putting the dimmer switch down, but I really never thought it was something to be used in an incubator. I figured it was something that would be good for a brooder.

3. gussie398

gussie398 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2011
    The world
    Luck wished [​IMG]! I made a cardboard box incubator, but when I opened it the temp would go down to 80 degrees and take an hour to get back up to 100. So I took them out after an hour, cooked them and fed 'em to the dogs. Yeah, didn't work very well. Hope yours goes better!

4. tmfineg

tmfineg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    Temp has been consistently at 100.8 for 3-4 hours without any tinkering. I loosly wrapped a blanket around the bater. I think it worked. Looks like my dog is out of luck, no egg dinner tonight...lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by