Set my Serama eggs 6/12 and partridge silkie eggs 6/16 (new bator)

Well I put my Serama eggs in lockdown last night. When I candled one was already in the aircell, then this morning it pipped, then a few hours ago another one pipped. They are not Due Until Friday, but looks like I will have some Early birds
ya.gif
I'm sooo Excited!

How's everybody else doing?

That is the COOLEST video! I think my husband thinks Im crazy! He should KNOW that by now! I am waiting for my first incubator in the mail and Im SOOO Excited I splurged on a Brinsea Oct20 Advance!
wee.gif

1:30AM 6/8 was 21 days and so far not a pip or peep. These eggs make me really nervous! I candled right before lock down and they all looked to be right on target for size, and all were moving around quite a bit. The original owner of these seramas had issues with the eggs hatching as well. I wonder if her genetics aren't the best when it comes to her eggs? If these don't make it, I have 9 more to throw in the bator. She has laid 9 more eggs and still hasn't gone broody, so I don't think she has it in here. Guess I'm just going to have to wait for a broody silkie or our Bantam Buff Cochin to try that out.

closing in on day 23 and still nothing...losing more and more hope on this batch
idunno.gif

What I'm having trouble understanding is, my first eggs ever were silkies that were shipped. 1 hatched from the 7 I bought, but it hatched almost exactly at 21 days. These eggs are from my own seramas, everyone of them developed. I had a couple quitters on the way, which I'm blaming on the lethal gene, but still, here I am almost on day 23 and not even a pip? I think I chose the wrong breed of chicken to breed
he.gif
... Sorry just extremely frustrated!

Last edited:
I'm going to give until day 25 and then candle and see if anything is going on inside. The person I bought the pair from told me that she has had some hatch around day 25. It just gets so frustrating when you watch them develop and then when they are supposed to hatch...nothing. And then every chance you get you check them, and still see nothing going on.

All the chicks died.
sad.png

I'm getting a new bator for my birthday, and will start this thread again as a diary and review of the new bator once it arrives and I get it going. My fiance orderd me a Brinsea Octagon 20 ECO... so hopefully this will be better than the LG.

Last edited:
Good Luck with your hatch! I just hatched 3 (out of 5) Serama's in an LG successfully. Still air with no turner. I actually decided to hand turn them... don't really know why, but my hatch rate was higher than the LG with the auto turner that was also used so I guess it worked!!

How often did you hand turn your eggs in still air bator? I have same & am hand turning myself & am so nervous of the outcome. I do not always get to turn them at the same time everyday. Thinking I have 25 in the bator right now with our turkey eggs. She has about 12 under her along with 6 peafowl eggs that we are trying to hatch as well.

Quote:
With my first hatch ever I did some silkie eggs, and hand turned. I turned them three times a day, and sometimes it wasn't at the exact same times due to work. They were shipped eggs, and 2 out of 7 made it to lock down, but one died while hatching due to not being fully formed. With the LG you have to be very careful with temp spikes and drops, and the humidity can be a pain to get high enough during lock down. With the serama eggs I was using the auto turner.
I can't wait to see how this new bator works out if everything I've been reading on here is true about it!

Back
Top Bottom