Set my very first eggs today (due March 24th) - need a hatching buddy!

Well im just checking this process out becouse in the future I want to hatch my own eggs. But right now im just raising chicks. But I hope that I can count on good friend and companion durring that excitting time of hatching my first group of eggs.

Best wish's
jumpy.gif
celebrate.gif

I don't have an automatic turner...how long can the cover be off of the incubator?? I try to hurry but I m afraid that I will get clumsy..

Quote:
I was told to think of it this way, a hen gets off to eat and drink and poop. I think 10 minutes is reasonable.
smile.png

I'm assuming no news is good news from everyone.
All was steady here yesterday and here's a question for all of you experienced incubators-is it my imagination or could my eggs "feel" heavier"? They seem to weigh more now than they did when I put them in-is it water or is it CHICKS???????

Ok, mine are due next weekend around the 21st. Definitley movement in three of them. One egg is too dark to really see, but the darkness I can see in it looks like the other brown egg. So far so good. Temps holding around 99 to 100 depending on which therm you look at and about 45-55% humidity. I also have read posts where your not suppose to put the water in until later but this is my second hatch and I have put water in just the two outer wells to start then three days before hatch fill up the middle well. I had two out of three eggs hatch last time as one egg wasnt fertile. I have also not been so nervous about the eggs as the first hatch and have been pretty much leaving them alone except for the turning and checking the water levels and temps. I candled last night but it had been three days since the last candle so I think Im getting better<g>. Next weekend will be fun as it will be hatch weekend so I'll probably be up all night watching like a hawk.
smile.png

Rammy

Great Rammy! Glad to hear positive news for you! Mine are due to hatch on the 22nd so I'll be right there with you constantly staring into the incubator.

My eggs are due to hatch 3/25! We've had quite an adventure that started with our broody girl Mabel and then ended sadly when we had to put her to sleep. But we've got the eggs in the bator and candled a few days ago. We'll try again tonight with a high powered LED bulb so i hope i can see the Barnevelder eggs. Mabels legacy thread and our first hatch thread is at this link if you want to follow!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=308013&p=1

Eggs in the incubator

4 white orpingtons
3 speckled sussex - one looks to have a blood ring....
tongue.gif

3 barnevelders
3 sicilian buttercups
2 silver laced wyandottes.

We've built "The Omelet Ranch Nursery" out of an old desk...will post pics later

Oh Cheryl, how sad, but welcome to our hatching group.
Barnvelders and Buttercups-how exciting-I am jealous.
Good luck and keep us posted on how it's going for you.
fl.gif

Thanks yes Mabel was chicken extraordinaire she followed me everywhere in the garden, came by name, and never left the nest, she would have been the greatest momma. So in her memory we are trying hard to hatch some of these eggs. I've never done this and I believe I've made a few mistakes already, so who know how it will turn out. I check the bator so many times during the day, you'd think everyday was a hatch day!!

Back
Top Bottom