Set tonight!! But have a question..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jennmom2three, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Jennmom2three

Jennmom2three Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Wichita Falls
    I set my bator tonight, I have a delimma though [​IMG] I ended up with 56 eggs, and only 41 spots in my turner. I just put the 15 extras on top so they will still kinda rotate. Or should I just put the 15 in a paper egg carton and stick them in my other bator that is on and at a steady temp?? I can manually put something under the incubator without a turner several times a day. Can't wait to have a ton of Christmas babies!!

2. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    We do that with quail eggs with good results. Never had much luck doing that with bigger eggs.

3. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    I think I'd put them inside an egg carton in the other incubator.
    Especially if you have still air incubators, for the eggs on top will be hotter than
    the ones on bottom if you lay them ontop of the others.

4. Jennmom2three

Mar 28, 2010
    Wichita Falls
    Quote:I have fans in both, I went ahead and just moved the extras to the egg carton in the other bator, I'll just put something under the bator several times a day to tilt the eggs. As the ones that quit or don't develop come out I'll move to the turner if I have room

5. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Quote:If the other bator is up and running, why waste the space and power? So long as the carton is set up to allow air flow to get all the way around, doing the tip thing should work. I have a little better luck if I also do a bit of a tip on the carton as well to make the angle a bit steeper.

6. Jennmom2three

Mar 28, 2010
    Wichita Falls
    the other bator isn't normally running. I normally use the 2nd one for lockdown. That way I can set more eggs sooner!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by